Good News for People Who Love Bad News review by Modest Mouse

• Released: Apr 6, 2004
Modest Mouse: Good News for People Who Love Bad News

I'm tired of hearing that this album is what we've come to expect from Modest Mouse. This album is like no Mouse album I've ever heard. What I love about the sound on this album is the cornucopia of musical instruments used on these tracks. The horns (provided by the Dirty Dozen Brass Band) make this album what it is. Really, really scary. Listening to this music with the ligths out had me in a cold sweat due mainly to the eerie sound of the horns that accompany scary lyrics like "gonna take this bag of puppies, gonna set it out to freeze!" But I'm getting ahead of myself...

Of course we have Isaac Brock's redneck, quavering voice that you can't help but love spewing out memorable catchphrases like "If god takes life he's an indian giver!" or "We're done, done, done, with all the fuck, fuck, fucking around!" but it seems that on their sixth album this has lost some of its charm. Oh well, they're still good for putting in your sig.

As of this writing, I'm not sure how it compares to the other mouse albums (I am positive that it is even a farther stretch from their earlier material than the lush, nearly perfect "The Moon and Antarctica", and in a complete different direction. A scary one.) Although I am a bit disappointed at the lack of a 7+ minute song, the songs on this album are nearly all great, albeit chilling with their macabre lyrics and harsh tones. Worth buying for everyone who's not afraid to think about the music they buy.