Good News for People Who Love Bad News review by Modest Mouse

• Released: Apr 6, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
Modest Mouse: Good News for People Who Love Bad News

The album's sound is a real mixed bag. There are some great songs on the album like "The World At Large", "Ocean Breathes Salty", "Blame It On The Tetons", and "Black Cadillacs". But, unfortunatly, some of the songs sound horrible. "The Devil's Workday" sounds like Modest Mouse didn't even try to make the song sound good. I think the sound of the album would be better if they didn't try to put a million instruments on every song. They were trying too hard to make the songs sound great, but half of them sound like crap.

The lyrics are too obsessed with death. Just listen to "Dig Your Grave", "Bury Me With It", and "The Devil's Workday". Those songs all have lyrical and title references to death. "Ocean Breathes Salty" is a song questioning the afterlife's existence. See, another death theme! The lyrics are bland and boring. Isaac Brock's voice usually sounds like a rusty nail on a chalkboard. Sometimes I listen to the songs and say, "His voice sounds like crap!"

This is a bad album. There are some songs that are absolutly unnessicary like "Horn Intro", "Dig Your Grave", and "Interlude (Milo)." I don't even see why those songs are on the album. If it were stolen, I probably wouldn't go out and buy another copy. I'd probably go buy something else so it wouldn't even seem like I lost anything. The album has a few good songs on it, but not many. This was a dissapointment and doesn't compare to other Modest Mouse albums.