Good News for People Who Love Bad News review by Modest Mouse

• Released: Apr 6, 2004
Modest Mouse: Good News for People Who Love Bad News

I'll be honest, this CD blew me away. I hadn't even ever heard of Modest Mouse before "Float On," and the rest of the CD was even better than that. Apparently, Modest Mouse had been a decently good band before this breakout album, "Good News For People Who Love Bad News." There is a great variety of styles shown on this record. There's hard and soft rock, and even a little New Orleans-style jazz.

The lyrics themselves were kind of hard to comprehend in the beginning, but once you find out what they are, it's really easy to sing along and get the messages this band is sending. The lyrics go well with the music on respective tracks. Isaac Brock, the singer, delivers melodies that you wouldn't expect.

I haven't heard too much of their other stuff, but I bought this album a year ago and it was the last one I've bought since. That shows how it compares to contemporary rock, which isn't to the standards of classic rock of the '60s and '70s. I loved the early tracks and how they flow together. I didn't especially like some of the later tracks because they stop this flow. I would buy it again if it were stolen or lost, believe that.