Good News for People Who Love Bad News review by Modest Mouse

• Released: Apr 6, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Modest Mouse: Good News for People Who Love Bad News

Let me start off by saying that I'm a big Modest Mouse fan, but this album kind of disapointed what I thought would come out of one of my favorite band. There are some good songs on here, like The World At Large, Blame It On The Tetons, Ocean Breathes Salty, Black Cadillacs, and maybe Float On. Sometimes it feels like certain members of the band just stopped trying, sometimes all at once (Devil's Workday, etc.) As for each instrument, Isaac Brock started using a lot more effects, like for some reason he just got enough money to buy some, well that's great but the effects effect the modest mouse "sound". Eric Judy didn't really do all that much on bass, especially at the later songs. Benjamin Weikal is not a fit replacement for Jeremiah Green, he isn't all that good.

There isn't much to say about the lyrics. They're ok, but there isn't anything as special as there was in The Moon and Antarctica. It has some good lines, but nothing really that great. As for Isaac Brocks singing skills, sometimes he sounded like the regular Isaac, but most of the time it was just like he was choking on a screeching cat, yuck.

I don't think this album is as bad as you might think from reading my review. It isn't as great as some of their previous efforts, but it sure has it's moments. If you're a Modest Mouse fan you should definatly pick this up just to hear some of the good songs, because it's really worth it (Black Cadillac is my personal favorite), if you've never been a Mouse fan but heard Float On and liked it, then I recommend you try "The Moon and Antarctica instead.

culley96
    This CD is phenomenal, and this is coming from a diehard LCW, Long Drive, and M&A fan. You people need to get off your high horse and realize that just because Float On got popular doesn't make this album any less great. Issac Brock is a genius.