Sad Sappy Sucker review by Modest Mouse

Modest Mouse: Sad Sappy Sucker

Modest Mouse is deffinently an important band. Most of their albums are full of stuff most indie bands dream of having in just one song. Now, with the realease of the band's very first album, you can learn what they sounded like when they were still in high school. Probably their most raw album, SSS is what most people would call "horrible." That's why it's known to be for hardcore fans. I am one of them, and I found this album quite good. The best song, ironiclly, is the misprinted no named number 4 track. Known to most people as "Classy Plastic Lumber" it has a very raw feel, with Issac's distorted voice singing accapello for the first 20 seconds. Then the music comes in a kicks your ass, the lyrics catchy and thought provoking. Most of the rest of the cd is pure Modest Mouse, but in a smaller version. None of the songs are over 4 minutes, which is weird. That siad, the two other tracks that we're great was, Dukes Up and Secret Agent X-9.

Modest Mouse is known for their crazy lyrics. This album, for the most part, is not the Modest Mouse we've come to love. In later albums Issac takles things from the "beyond". This album seems to be on a lower scale. But in the song "Think Long" Issac sings, "Sit and think for a while and you'll realize that you'll still die. If you're not thinking at all I'm not sure why you're alive." This is some of the best lyrics you'll hear on this album.

This album is raw, pure, young Modest Mouse. You can tell they are ready to burst out. Although this album is lacking much, there is still enough to enjoy. But if you're not a hardcore Modest Mouse fan look elsewhere.