The Lonesome Crowded West review by Modest Mouse

• Released: Nov 18, 1997
Modest Mouse: The Lonesome Crowded West

This was my secound MM album after Good News,and I had no idea what I was getting into. Listening to the opening riff of "Teeth Like God's Shoeshine" got me hooked instantly. What highly impressed me with the sound of this album was the distant sound away from "mainstream" and how different they sound that you can't even compare them. Most of the songs on this album are long but its definatly worth listening to. The guitar parts are mostly grinding octaves and aome bendy harmonics. The drum parts in this album can go from a calm beat(Long Distance Drunk) to a hard punching beat of "Doin' The Cockroach". To top it too with a fast growing hi-hat and snare drum solo. The bass is hard to hear in most songs but it can range from very spacey to following along with guitar type of rythem. But overall I give the sound a 10 with its originality and how loud and creative a trio can be.

Modest Mouse is what got me into "indie rock" and ever since listening to this album it's a great example of good indie lyrics. My favorite lines in this album are "on this life that we call home the years go fast and the days go so slow"-Heart Cooks Brain. Along with "I didn't move to the city, the city moved to me And I want out desperately" - Cowboy Dan. Overall the lyrics are flat out amazing if you listen to this album. They're range from talking about life, drugs, and stuff you can't even analyze and that's what makes them more mysterious in ways in they're lyrics. The singing is very diverse and complex in ways. Comparing from "Doin' the Cockroach" with upbeat whaling and fast yelling to "Trailer Trash" Isaac singing very calmly and from his heart you can tell how deep his lyrics get from the way Isaac sings.

Comparing this band is very hard for me to from their oringinal sound. I always hear they sound closely to Built to Spill which I find very hard to believe from guitar work and composing. The most impressive songs would definatly be "Teeth Like God's Shoeshine" a great opener,"Lounge(closing time)" an upbeat and fun song, and then "Styrofoam Boots" A bluegrass type of feel song with a drum solo towards the end. I love every single aspect of each song which makes each one special and not sounding the same like some albums do. The only thing that bothers me is the transistion from the lullaby theme of "Long Distance Drunk" to the loud post-punk "Shit Luck" it's basically a wake up call to keep on listening to LCW. If were stolen or lost I definatly buy it again without a doubt. But If you want to get into "indie rock" this is the perfect album to listen to for starters!

wndrw982