The Moon & Antarctica review by Modest Mouse

• Released: Aug 10, 2010
Modest Mouse: The Moon & Antarctica

One word to describe Modest Mouse is creative. This album depicts originality and creative wisdom as the trio delivers a more acoustic major label debut with songs surrounding the topic or mortality and the universe. The idea about the album was to make a dense, mellow album with some sparks added in some tracks. It's pretty safe to say that this indie band is far from overrated, and may even get you captured after the first few songs are done with.

The lyrics are the strongest part of The Moon & Antarctica by far. The album's first track "3rd Planet" shows energy and caution at the same time through both the music and lyrics. Isaac Brock, the band's lead singer/songwriter writes lyrics that are deeper than any other of MM's albums. "Tiny City of Ashes" has a jumpy beat to make sure that the whole album isn't acoustic, as well as "Alone Down There". "Lives" is one of the strongest songs on the record, and it can really make you think about how life is really spent("It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time"). Overall, Brock's lyrics show listeners the way through a tale about life and the universe and sends a great vibe towards his audience.

Modest Mouse delivers what could be their greatest album, not only for them, but for fellow indie bands. If you are curious about this crazy world we live in, pick up this CD and the answer may come through one of their songs. What I love most about this album is the lyrics and the progression through the songs. Right when you think the song is over, it can pick up again and surprise you. I cannot say I have any negative aspects towards this album. If it were stolen/lost, I'd have to go out and buy it again, and it would be worth every penny.

culley96
    One of the greatest albums of all-time. Modest Mouse at their absolute best. The depth and complexity of this record is astounding.