We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank review by Modest Mouse

• Released: Mar 20, 2007
Modest Mouse: We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank

We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank has a sound no one else has achieved. With catchy riffs and key guitar hooks, Isaac Brock and Johnny Marr capture the perfect sound. On tracks like "Dashboard", "Missed the Boat", and "We've Got Everything", the guitar riffs immediatley draw you in. Modest Mouse can play one song softly, the next angry, and the next happy, and you would love each one. Modest Mouse have written some great guitar stuff here, and each member brings his own brilliant sound to the table.

Isaac Brock has the ability to write unbelievable lyrics. Whether he is expressing some type of religious or anti-religious meaning (We've carried it all so well, as if we got a new position, and I'd laugh all the way to hell, saying "Yes, this is a fine promotion), Isaac can make you want to read and listen to his lyrics more and more with each song. These lyrics are anything but normal, which is exactly what draws you in. No one wants to hear the same old love and heartbreak lyrics. Isaac has moved on with this album, with the theme being Ships and Boats, and it is a great, great thing to listen to.

We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank is a truly wonderful album. It is nothing like anything I've ever bought before, and I feel as though I am truly missing out on some of their other albums. It is better than anything you will hear on the radio these days, and Modest Mouse is completely underrated. They do not get a lot of press or media. But so many people are missing out. If it was stolen, I would buy it again. And again. And then once more time.

PinkFloydrulez
    I love it. theangrymob875: I'm glad you've been converted. I have friends who judge Modest Mouse based solely on "Float On" (though not a bad song by any means) and disregard MM as gay or with some other ignorant adjective. I did the same thing when I was what, 14 in 8th grade when Good News first came out. then early on in 10th grade I remembered the song and got the album but didn't listen to all the songs... A friend of mine on my bus let me borrow the moon and antarctica and I was pretty much hooked on from then and got all their other stuff. Since then, almost two years ago, I listen to Modest Mouse allll the time.. definitely the most consistent band in being my favorite. This kind of got way longer than I wanted, however: have fun with the Mouse, it's a long fun journey. and the rolling stone mag worships plenty of really shitty music and the world is ending anyway because of far more reasons than just that.
    aetherspear
    come on, modest mouse has sold out. they used to say they'd never use their music for commercials and now they're in verizon wireless commercials. I like the shins, but i hate the fact that modest mouse likes the shins. if you want to learn about modest mouse check out their earlier albums. when i listened to this cd, there were a few times when i thought "didn't i hear this on good news?"
    B2daR2daA2daD
    aetherspear, your an idiot, just because they use it in a commercial doenst mean they sold out, besides they probably dont even own the rights to the cd, epic records probably does. and btw they havnet sold out anyway, just because they have a breakthrough single doesnt mean you have to hate them.
    brycec33
    I saw them at the Lake Union Naval base, awesome. The new songs are pretty good, but seeing Marr rock out to "Doin' the cockroach" and other classic Modest songs was just amazing.