We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank review by Modest Mouse

• Released: Mar 20, 2007
Modest Mouse: We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank

A great album by a very unique band. We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank is kind of a concept album in that every song usually has a reference to a story of a journey on a ship. Very unique and creative album from Modest Mouse that in my opinion is their best album to date. This is the bands first album with the addition of The Smith's guitarist Johhny Marr. He has a big influence on this album changing the bands original sound yet maintaining it and expanding it into something greater.

Most songs on this album are about a crew that die on a ship. The lyrics generally follow that story line. Brock has a way of writing that is sorta similar to how Bob Dylan wrote lyrics, very vague and they seem to apply to multiple senarios in life. Really some good writing, and the storyline really makes you think about it. The lyrics and the music go well together. Modest Mouse has a way of making you feel every word, Brocks unique voice and stage presence really play into this. Brock has never really been known to be a great singer, but his voice is so unique and carries a lot of power that its really pleasent to listen to.

Overall I would probably put this as my favorite album by Modest Mouse. Johhny Marr does a great job in this band really making the music come to life, his riffs and melodies really get you into the song and makes you love it. Favorite songs on this album would include; Dashboard, Parting Of The Sensory, Little Motel, and Missed The Boat. Other great songs on this album too, most if not all are some of Modest Mouses best work yet. Definitely recommend this album, if your not a mouse fan or never have listened to them, give this album a shot. It can be very different for most people throwing them off, but listen and I promise you will enjoy it.