Come On Die Young review by Mogwai

• Released: Apr 6, 1999
Mogwai: Come On Die Young

Mogwai's Come On Die Young is in my oppinion, as well as theirs their greatest work to date. This album was made in 1999. The sound is triumphant, it's sad, it is happy, it is everything and it is beautiful. Their instrumental orchestration is very simplistic and is very beautiful. Mogwai never over uses their talents and abilities. The sounds are quiet when they are supposed to be quiet and loud when they are supposed to be loud. Using feedback at times, silence at others, and sampling clips of interviews, radio casts and stuff like that. An example of the innovation of this band is displayed in Christmas Steps, track 11, at 3:48 when the mellow nature is disrupted by a bleating bass playing the same notes and gaining speed until an odd rythmed intense instrumental sequence takes the stage. This is a post rock album.

Well, a lot of this album is instrumental. Some songs have lyrics and they are pretty interesting and fit the mood of the song always. Some songs, as I said earlier have interviews and broadcasts in the background. The most memorable is track one called punk rock. It features Iggy Pop talking about music in general. I think he is talking to interviews and critics. This is an excerpt from part of the track "I don't know Johnny Rotton but I'm sure that he puts as much blood and sweat into what he does as Sigmund Freud did. You see, what sounds to you like a load of trashy old noise, is in fact the brilliant music of a genius. And that music is so powerful that it's quite beyond my control and when I am in the grips of it I don't feel pleasure and I don't feel pain. Do you understand what I'm talking about? Have you ever felt like that when you just, when you just can't feel anything, and you don't want to either. Lyrics get a 10 because they fit so well with the music and musical orchestration.

I think this is Mogwai's best album. All of the songs are very impressive and they get more impressive the more you listen to them. You don't have to analyze this album in order to enjoy it. Al lyou have to do it press play and let it take you away. I also think that the song titles and album title are very unique. Come On Die Young is almost anthem-like to me. Some unique song titles (all Mogwai's titles are unique) but some more memorable ones are: year 2000 non-complaint cardia, may nothing but happiness come through your door, Oh! How The Dogs Stack up, Ex-Cowboy, Punk Rock/Puff Daddy/Antichrist. I am giving overall impression a 9 because for a post rock newbie it might take a little longer to actually get into this album. A great band all the way from Glasgow, Scotland!

Paul Lambeth
    I have to disagree with a lot of what you said here. Though they've used different instruments such as trombone and flute, the album is primarily guitar-based, with very little change in volume and most of the songs revolving around one guitar melody. Don't get me wrong, their other work is brilliant - this just lacks in contrast between songs SO much.
    CoMeOnDiEyOUNg
    Hello, i did a Mogwai - A Place For Parks tab, can everyone rate it and leave a comment on what they think. Thanks