Luihin Ja Ytimiin review by Mokoma

• Released: Nov 28, 2007
Mokoma: Luihin Ja Ytimiin

Hardly no one outside of Finland knows Mokoma. That's easily explained by the fact that they sing in Finish. But when I have browsed through different sites about the band I wound out that there is a lot of fans outside of Finland. That made me want to make a rewiew about their newest album Luihin Ja Ytimiin. Freely translated, to the bone and the core. Mokoma is the leading metal band in Finland for many years and their previous album Kuoleman Laulukunnaat was one of the most successful albums of 2006. The album was and still is their heaviest and from that album Mokoma needed a change and started to take influences from black metal. They cave the warning pretty early but still the sound of the new album confused a lot of people. I was one of them. Roughly about ten lissens later a didn't even have a opinion on the album. I didn't know was it good, or was it bad. Reason for that had to be the compositions. The sound is very much influenced by black metal like I sayed earlier, and it takes a lot more time to get into the songs then with any previous Mokoma album. Mokoma has taken a big step and reinvented their sound but sadly it takes away a lot as well. The riffs don't sound as hard and the melodies are sinking in to the hissing like black metal sound. Only thing that hasent chanced that much is the growling. It still kicks ass. Still it's Mokoma, and yes it's still thrash metal.

Lyrics have been a huge part of Mokoma alfays and it's save to say that many young songwriters in Finland think that Marko Annala (The singer) is a genious. it's definitely no blind hype. Annala is one of the best lyricist in modern metal industry, and even beyond metal. On this album there seams to be 3 main points. The beast, Humanity, Love. First half of the album seams to tell about loss of humanity. Giving your self a chance to be free of pain of humanity. Quote from Nujerra ihminen song, freely translated: "I want to set my self free. Suppress my humanity." that's the first turning point of the album, but don't get me wrong. This is not a theme album. Not on purpose anyway. Annalas lyrics always linger around the feelings that we all feel every day. And he knows how to use metaphors correctly. At end of the album the songs start to tell stories about beeing a human. No more trying to suppress it. Dough you can find bitterness in the words of Annala. More you feel like an human less you feel obligated to follow morals. Love is a huge part of the album and it's always present. It doesn't come any clearer then in the song Marras. The most tame and poppy song on the album. Suprisely it's one of the best also. You have to be an idiot to not know what this song is about. Never have I heard Annala beeing so straightforward and it works. A beatifull song balancing rest of the album. The albums title sums it all up for me.

When one of your favorite artists makes a new record you always want to think it's gouing to be the best yet. Well Luihin Ja Ytimiin isn't the best album that Mokoma has made. Still it's one of the best albums that has come out in 2007. A new style and still it sounds like Mokoma. Sadly taking influences from black metal hasent been a great decision, but they needed it to stay relevant. Many Finish metal bands have been on the verge of a chance in 2007. With some bands it has worked better. Despite of that Mokoma is still one of the best in the business. A great album for any thrash metal fan.

Miquespa
    Good review, vhn tyst kielioppiin nii hyv. I think this gives Mokoma good publicity. Go order the record folks!
    Confetti
    BlisteringDDj wrote: Please God! I want to participate in the discussion!
    Well start speaking finish or make a statement
    Viikku
    Enp tiennykkn, ett tll pyrii nin paljon suomalaisia... Kannattaa muuten laittaa Mokoman sointuja tonne: www.createforum.com/ComposerForum , niin tulee hyv julkisuutta.
    trivium99 wrote: woah whats everyone saying lol
    Well we are speaking finish ;D And this is how it sounds when you sing it. Mokoma - Nujerra Ihminen music video
    nakki
    Yeah,the new album is awesome. It get's better by listening it a couple times, you get into it. Niin, kovan levyn lykksivt. Mahtavuutta. Odotan kyll liven nkevni poijaat tss. Kattellaan.
    Raakis
    Niin no kaikki on sanottu. It's all said. jos toikaan nyt oikein meni
    lord_of_light
    Confetti wrote: Ei tossa levyll lhellkn puhtaita black metal saundeja ollut mutta saundi silti erillainen kuin KLK:lla Nyt kun on kuunnellut enemmn alkaa pinnan alta lytymn koko ajan enemmn tarttumapintaa nimen omaan svellyksiss.
    Jep! Svellyksiin oli pojat panostanu selvsti enemmn tlk kertaa
    lord_of_light
    Ah, vihdoin joku arvosteli Mokomaa tnnekin! Pakko sanoo ett omasta mielestni ne blkkisvaikutteet ei nyt niin pahasti oo esim. saundimaailmaan vaikuttanu. Omasta mielestni saundit on ihan selv jatkumoa KLK:lle ja Viidennelle vuodenajalle. Tn vuoden paras levy kieltmtt ja omasta mielestni mys Mokoman yksi kovimmista levyist. Me likes!
    Miquespa
    Confetti wrote: Sorry to anyone who feels that their minds have been raped because of my bad spelling!
    =). Haha. Just trying to keep the sites "looks" up. Not saying that its unreadable.
    Confetti
    Miquespa wrote: Good review, vhn tyt kielioppiin/oikeinkirjotukseen nii hyv tulee. I think this gives nice publicity to Mokoma, got buy the record.
    Jeah thanks! Voin m sua haukkuakkin mut en m halua.. Oikein kirjoitus on ainoa Englannin osa-alue jossa on hankaluuksia. Sorry to anyone who feels that their minds have been raped because of my bad spelling!
    Miquespa
    NOOOOO!!!! I just humiliated myself by posting that one twice. lol. Ok, pick on me.
    Arthemesic
    Mokoma has been one of the most creative bands in Finland alongside Apulanta, but in addition Mokoma has a progression in their sound. Nevertheless both tend to sound great. I think the highlight of Mokoma's career at this point is Kuoleman Laulukunnaat. I own Tmn Maailman Ruhtinaan Hovi, Kuoleman Laulukunnaat as well as the 2006 EP Viides Vuodenaika. I've checked out the music video of 'Nujerra Ihminen' from the latest album. Must say I'm still amazed how creative can the human mind be.