Luihin Ja Ytimiin Review

8.6
 8.2
review (1) 21 comments vote for this album:
Luihin Ja Ytimiin Reviewed by: Confetti, on december 27, 2007

Sound: Hardly no one outside of Finland knows Mokoma. That's easily explained by the fact that they sing in Finish. But when I have browsed through different sites about the band I wound out that there is a lot of fans outside of Finland. That made me want to make a rewiew about their newest album Luihin Ja Ytimiin. Freely translated, to the bone and the core. Mokoma is the leading metal band in Finland for many years and their previous album Kuoleman Laulukunnaat was one of the most successful albums of 2006. The album was and still is their heaviest and from that album Mokoma needed a change and started to take influences from black metal. They cave the warning pretty early but still the sound of the new album confused a lot of people. I was one of them. Roughly about ten lissens later a didn't even have a opinion on the album. I didn't know was it good, or was it bad. Reason for that had to be the compositions. The sound is very much influenced by black metal like I sayed earlier, and it takes a lot more time to get into the songs then with any previous Mokoma album. Mokoma has taken a big step and reinvented their sound but sadly it takes away a lot as well. The riffs don't sound as hard and the melodies are sinking in to the hissing like black metal sound. Only thing that hasent chanced that much is the growling. It still kicks ass. Still it's Mokoma, and yes it's still thrash metal. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics have been a huge part of Mokoma alfays and it's save to say that many young songwriters in Finland think that Marko Annala (The singer) is a genious. it's definitely no blind hype. Annala is one of the best lyricist in modern metal industry, and even beyond metal. On this album there seams to be 3 main points. The beast, Humanity, Love. First half of the album seams to tell about loss of humanity. Giving your self a chance to be free of pain of humanity. Quote from Nujerra ihminen song, freely translated: "I want to set my self free. Suppress my humanity." that's the first turning point of the album, but don't get me wrong. This is not a theme album. Not on purpose anyway. Annalas lyrics always linger around the feelings that we all feel every day. And he knows how to use metaphors correctly. At end of the album the songs start to tell stories about beeing a human. No more trying to suppress it. Dough you can find bitterness in the words of Annala. More you feel like an human less you feel obligated to follow morals. Love is a huge part of the album and it's always present. It doesn't come any clearer then in the song Marras. The most tame and poppy song on the album. Suprisely it's one of the best also. You have to be an idiot to not know what this song is about. Never have I heard Annala beeing so straightforward and it works. A beatifull song balancing rest of the album. The albums title sums it all up for me. // 10

Overall Impression: When one of your favorite artists makes a new record you always want to think it's gouing to be the best yet. Well Luihin Ja Ytimiin isn't the best album that Mokoma has made. Still it's one of the best albums that has come out in 2007. A new style and still it sounds like Mokoma. Sadly taking influences from black metal hasent been a great decision, but they needed it to stay relevant. Many Finish metal bands have been on the verge of a chance in 2007. With some bands it has worked better. Despite of that Mokoma is still one of the best in the business. A great album for any thrash metal fan. // 9

Comments