The Harbinger review by Molotov Solution

• Released: Jun 8, 2009
Molotov Solution: The Harbinger

First off, amazing production on this CD. Everything comes through extremely clear. Which with the deathcore sound these guys were going for is always important. Guitars sound crisp and crushing throughout. Cymbals could have been upped in the mix, but amazing drumming overall. Nick Arthur is a force to be reckoned with throughout, with amazing high, low, and mid scrams. For me, the best part of this release was that the sound strays from its natural niche enough to stay entertaining. While true to a deathcore sound, they go from groovy breakdowns to blastbeat ladden riffs in a spectacular way. The first breakdown of the CD grabs you at the end of Warlords and carries you into the next song, with each song having an attention grabbing intro. The intro to "Enslaved" gripped me and just yelled meshuggah. "Monolithic Apparatus" starts off with a simple drum beat, than goes into a spectacular groove metal riff, and is probably the most groove orientated song on the album. Overall a great deathcore album. Nothing shatteringly innovative, but everything done amazing.

Lyrics...are alright. This band breaks the mold of most deathcore and basis their lyrics off of politics. Most of the songs being about how the middle class needs to rise up and stop letting the government use us. Nick makes the lyrics fit, but just barely, and without a lyric book you really don't notice all the broken sentences thrown between two completely different parts of the song. Nick manages to pull everything off, but it almost seems like the lyrics were written before everything else and just thrown on top. If it were't for his vocal skills then the lyrics and the way everything fits together might have been a real downer on this album. Singer a ten. Lyrics an eight. Placement of said lyrics...a five.

Take the balls of Emmure and give them the technical skills of Whitechapel, and you have the new Molotov Solution. Overall a great CD and I can't wait to see what they do in the future. In all honesty every song on this album has its hook that grabs you. Let it be a killer intro, a breakdown that just hits you in the chest, or an amazingly textured guitar interlude. I hope that they take the placement of the lyrics into more consideration next time, but overall a great CD. Alot of the newcomer bands in this genre have become stale and mediocre, but Molotov Solution give a refreshing breath into deathcore. Would I buy this CD again? Of course. No questions asked.

Darkkon
    Nicks scrams are really that good? Wow, I have to check this out.
    Jphthe1
    A Ghost Reverie wrote: I think the world has seen enough deathcore bands already.
    Agreed.
    ClassicalDoom
    Amuro Jay
    Fuckin eh. I was gonna review this. Sick album, though. It's one of those records that makes me glad I'm not a narrow-minded prick like half the people on this site.
    Amuro Jay
    Also, lyrics are a strong point in this band. Sometimes I think they hold more weight than the music itself. And I think Robbie writes the lyrics. Not entirely sure though.
    Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
    ClassicalDoom wrote: These guys are deathcore "pioneers" to say, like whitechapel. they aren't all break downs and they actually use some real guitar work. the vocals are sic.
    Along with Through The Eyes Of The Dead and The Acacia Strain. The Acacia Strain not so much on guitar work up until Continent, but still pioneers