The Red Tree review by Moneen

• Released: Apr 11, 2006
Moneen: The Red Tree

As always, Moneen uses a variety of sound effects, mainly with the guitars, and somehow manages to come off as an original and pure sound. A lot of bands have made the advantages of the studio their ultimate downfall (Linkin Park, My Chemical Romance), but even so Moneen happens to be a great live band on top of it all. Also you can very much see that their split ep with Alexisonfire influenced the sound on several of the songs (namely, The Frightening Reality Of The Fact That We Will All Have To Grow Up And Settle Down One Day). So they managed to make the same familiar Moneen sound very much mature, but original. Also as you might have noticed, they kept with the long song titles.

The lyrics on this album are just great. They have 2 singers but they don't alternate a whole lot. I believe they are both brothers of the last name Hughes, if that's of any signifigance. Personally, I find "The Day No One Needed To Know" and "The Song I Swore Never To Sing" very heartfelt and "emotional", but I wouldn't label them as an emo band. They just happen to pour emotion into their music (and what is music without emotion). Also on the track "If Tragedy's Appealing, Then Disaster's An Addiction," the singer's power really stands out when he screams the anthem "I'm not a failure now."

Overall, I found the album to be both of the same style as their 2002 effort, "Are We Really Happy With Who We Are Right Now?", as well as a mixing pot of a selection of new styles. Prior to the album's release, I didn't like what I heard. But I would deffinately recommend this album to any whose interested in it.

[NIN]_ROCK!
    I love this album and I don't really consider them as an Emo band, they're actually pretty different from all that Emo stuff that's been coming around lately. Go ahead and give this a try
    Mynabull
    I hate emo bands (are they emo), I'm a hard rock/metal/grunge freak? But I was very pleasantly by the album. 10 stars.
    James TH
    This album to me is amazing, look up some tabs and try to figure these guys out, they have such amazing riffs that mesh so well, if it wasnt for these guys, there would be no real Canadian Rock living, thats what im happy for moneen..
    sean_49
    this album is amazing. and i dont worry about the "are they emo?". they still rock.