The Red Tree review by Moneen

• Released: Apr 11, 2006
Moneen: The Red Tree

The Red Tree begins with a crescendo driven, up beat song about the a character on the NBC thriller "LOST", by then you know that you have something different on your hands from.moneen. this time. Without a doubt moneen have reintroduced themselves as possibly one of the most interesting acts to come out of the Canadian underground music scene, reinventing their sound as a band. Upon buying the CD I had only heard two songs off it and was prepared to have to dig deep to find some favourites. This wasn't the case. Without a doubt moneen has managed to stay true to the highlights on "Are We Really Happy With Who We Are Right Now?" - their previous release- but have managed to create a new sound, one that's epic sounding, happy, and extremely well worked. As musically, The Red Album exceeds all prior work done by the band and the atmosphere set by songs like "This Is All Bigger Than Me". There are few misses on the CD and it's one of the few albums I own that can easily be listened to all the way through with great ease and enjoyment although some of the instruments in the songs and their arrangement has unified feel through the album with little variety.

The lyrics are one of the highlights of the album in my eyes. Not to take away from the amazing musicianship in the album, but the words accompanied with the music (something I don't usually pay much attention to) are well written and not all about love, hate, politics and problems with the world but also reach into the deeper things in life. There seems to be something for everyone to relate with. Without fully understanding some of the contexts which the songs are written about, I have come to the conclusion that a beautiful song written by moneen will always include well written lyrics and there are no songs short of beautiful on his album. Simple stupendous!

Overall,Moneen's The Red Tree is a naturally progression from their older material and the change seems genuine and true fans will embrace it as something quite awesome and spectacular to sit through. The whole album is crammed with good songs, some better than others but all very well written and portrayed by the band. The album lacks a bit of variety in the music and the progression of chords but that's not to say that the songs are boring. If it were lost or stolen I would most definitely go out and repurchase Moneen's the Red Tree.