Disconnect review by Monks Of Mellonwah

• Released: Aug 29, 2015
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Monks Of Mellonwah: Disconnect

If you like the mix of rock and R&B from the Arctic Monkeys album "AM," you might feel similar when listening to the new EP "Disconnect" from Monks Of Mellonwah. Many of my favorite tracks such as "Disconnect," "Feel It Coming," and "Look at Me" all have the potential to be end-of-summer favorites to many new and old fans as the songs feel like they were constructed and made with the most attention and effort by the band (with their most crucial aspect being catchy). Especially true of the track "Look at Me" which to me feels like it has the spunky energy and guitar driven funk leads that you'd expect from pre-"Stadium ArcadiumRed Hot Chili Peppers, you get a sense that the band has very different influences that mix extremely well and produce results that can catch attention on radio stations. My second favorite track, "Disconnect," has the somber and melancholy feel you'd expect from soft rock bands like Coldplay and Radiohead but with a vocalist that holds the spotlight and continually move audiences along with some well crafted lyrics. The bridge and chorus in "Disconnect" was especially satisfying as it felt like a nice change up from how common the verse-chorus-verse dynamic has become in rock music. Lastly, "Feel It Coming" has the potential to become a big hit because of how strong the chorus is written, it just shows how motivated this band is to create instantly likeable songs. Overall I'd describe the sound of Monks being a mix of rock, pop and R&B; a smooth album that has some great tracks that is bound to get this band on more people's radar.

The lyrics weren't the best aspect of the album, but when they're written as pop rock songs that are built to rush from the verse to the super catchy chorus that listeners demand what do you expect? There's no brilliant lyrics on any of the tracks that inspire, move or energize you in some way but there are many memorable lyrics so in that aspect I think Vikram Kaushik succeeded. The lyrics show the fragmented thoughts and feelings that came strongly to the lyricist after hearing music which makes me think the lyrics were written after the music was created. It's a good approach but I feel like it's how we ended up with songs like Walk The Moon's "Shut Up and Dance." I'm not entirely impressed with the lyrics from Monks but I feel with time their vocalist will find a songwriting structure that gives him more freedom and less restriction when writing lyrics, where he won't be constricted when writing the verse and won't be too distracted with writing a catchy chorus that he forgets a song needs to be balanced in the verse and chorus.

Monks Of Mellonwah really won me over these last few weeks as I've tried and tried to write what I felt about them but I continually came to this conclusion that they were terrible because they didn't have enough guitar in their songs, which I know sounds harsh because it was, but I like when rock bands and indie rock bands use their guitars to create some incredible music. I now know I was too hard those first few write-ups I did of them because now, after some time has passed I heard through the album again and the guitar slowly turned up to the point where I could hear it and bam! I found it. Those riffs in my favorite songs that made the music so much more enjoyable that I guess I ignored on the first few run-throughs of the album, those qualities that I thought were missing were actually there. I think they've gained a new fan that at first thought too critically of them because of their sound but really it was their sound that appealed to me the most. I look forward to the future of these Australian rockers because I think they have potential and innovation that won't back down anytime soon, and will wait to see what they release in the future.