Monsters Of Folk review by Monsters Of Folk

• Released: Sep 22, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Monsters Of Folk: Monsters Of Folk

"Monsters of Folk" is the name of the first album by the American supergroup Monsters of Folk. At first, and influenced by the name, we may be pushed into thinking this is another folk record, but while we listen to its songs one by one, we find more than one musical genre amongst its 15 tracks. The opening track (Dear God) combines harp with bright vocals and a looped groovy drum beat. As we press the "next" button on our media player, we find a wide variety of sounds and genres that go from a country-like sound in "The Right Place", "Baby Boomer", or "Goodway" to a more "rockish" sound embellished with electric guitar solos in "Say Please" and "Losin Yo Head" and also (doing justice to the album's name) the obvious folk sound, present in almost every track, but particularly evident in my two favourite songs: "Map Of The World" and "Man Named Truth".

All four members of the band took part in the album with their instrumental and vocal skills, which has given this album a relatively wide display of vocal performances. The lyrics on the album generally fit well with the melody, often involving us in a warm and bright atmosphere when allied to the almost omnipresent chorused vocals. The songs tell us mostly about life and the way normal people relate to it. One of the best lyrics on the album is perhaps "Map of the World" as it has a very strong rhythmic feeling allied to a fairly good poetic measure.

When you are listening to this album you may find some similiraties with other folk(-ish) artists such as Paul Simon, Elliot Smith or Sam Bean (commonly known as Iron & Wine) and so on... But, despite having more than one singer performing, the album lacks a certain variety in vocal tones, as what I considered above a "relatively wide display of vocal performances" may not be that wide if you don't pay much attention to what you're hearing. It will definitely be a challenge to identify the different voices on the album if you're not aware that there's more than one. But this is only one of the few negative aspects I can point on this record. The pros are much more than the cons. Having to pick one pro, I'd probably go for the musical variety, because if you like acoustic guitar, you'll most surely like at least one or two songs on the album. And that's something you can't say about half the records out there. Finally, my advice is that anyone who likes acoustic and strong melodies should definitely give this album a try. I speak for myself: when I bought the album I wasn't entirely sure about if I'd like it or not... but now, if I lost it, I'd surely go back to the record store to buy a new one! Enjoy!

brighteyes577
    It's a good album overall. I love Matt and he brought a lot to the album, him plus Conor is always good. You might want to mention who the members are for those who don't know exactly what the band's comprised of. It's Conor Oberst (Bright Eyes, etc.), Mike Mogis (Bright Eyes, and plays with/for a lot of others) Jim James (My Morning Jacket), and M.Ward. great combination.
    guitarshredder8
    WhereArtEsteban
    guitarshredder8 wrote: You mentioned rarely anything bad about the album, but gave it lackluster ratings. I'm confused. Did i miss something?
    This is fact. I havent heard the album yet. I'm lazy
    elcapitan1800
    Yeah it sounds like you really liked the album, but you ranked it a 6.7?? I would call it a solid 8, I have really been enjoying this album. The play on words that they use throughout "Baby Boomer" is clever and fun. "Whole Lotta Losin" and "Map of the World" just wont seem to stop playing on my iPod
    almostlike/
    Some people have found my overall 6.7 rating a bit strange so I thought I should explain my opinion on the album. It has a pretty simple explanation. In terms of sound, and despite I liked it, I think giving it an 8 is quite exaggerated because , and again, despite I liked it, I didn't adore it... Anyway , 7 out of 10 ain't bad at all... I gave the album a 6 in the singing part because I thought (as I said in the review) it could be somewhat repetitive in terms of voice. But anyway, this is just my (first!) review and my opinion on the subject so don't expect me to agree with you all Cheers
    webbyness
    Yeah this album is absolutely brilliant. You need to get your head checked. Sorry.