Kivenkantaja review by Moonsorrow

• Released: Mar 10, 2003
Moonsorrow: Kivenkantaja

Moonsorrow is easily the most heavy folk band I can imagine. It's also kinda progressive band as their all songs are more than 7 minutes long with pretty progressive body. For example song "Kivenkantaja"; Begins with accoustic intro, then turning into really heavy riff and verses, then some playing, again quiet part with folk instruments and then new verse, which is pretty damn angry sounding, then melodies and stuff and yeah... There's really not any logic, but who cares as long as it sounds good? All the songs on the album are pretty slow and heavy with folk melodies and instruments. Their acoustic parts are really nice to listen. Personally I don't like too heavy guitar riffs with a lots of gain, but on the other hand it fits with this music pretty good.

Lyrics are pretty much normal folk lyrics. Expect they're all in Finnish. They aren't the most cliché folk lyrics about beer and christians slaying pagans. Actually there are some interesting stories, like "Jumalten Kaupunki (City Of Gods)" which is about some guy who have been searching for the City of God for thousand years and then find it. Singer is pretty awesome. He has very aggressive sounding high screaming voice, and he does just perfect screams, like the end of "Jumalten Kaupunki", or at the middle of "Kivenkantaja". Also the Finnish language with this screaming really works fine with the music, and themes also fit the pagan metal genre.

I really can't compare it to other Moonsorrow CDs as I haven't really heard much other songs than ones in this album. My favorite songs are "Kivenkantaja" and "Jumalten Kaupunki". I also love the quiet folk part that lasts for 2 minutes at the song "Tuulen Tytär/Soturin Tie". Moonsorrow is really heavy and black stylish band, but it still is very progressive and you have to pay attention to it while you listen. It also got some really beautiful parts with only folk instruments playing.