Verisakeet review by Moonsorrow

Moonsorrow: Verisakeet

Moonsorrow are a black/folk/progressive metal band, and you'll find Verisakeet is high on the progressive end because songs range from eight to twenty minutes (seventy minute albums are noticeable). Musically: distortion-filled guitar riffs balanced with folk interludes; nature soundtrack intros and outros; ballad acoustic guitar sections (Kaiku). Verasikeet focuses more on the atmosphere of its sound rather than technical melodies and solos. However, it is still quality music.

I heard Moonsorrow incorporated Norse Mythology into their lyrics, however there isn't much evidence of that in Verisakeet. There is a lot of nature imagery that points to a deeper meaning than what is read. Of course, seeing as how we're looking at folk metal, the lyrics match the music. The vocals are more black than anything, but there are clean sections; whether they are performed by other band members remains a mystery. The keyboards fit in a lot of background synth that sounds like an extra choir singing in the background, as well. The vocals are well done but Ville sometimes puts so much into his screams it sounds like he's dying.

I had trouble getting into every song but Karhunkynsi at first, but it all grows on you after a few listens, like Opeth. Karhunkynsi is obviously the catchiest, but the end drags on for so long listening to all that distortion tremolo picking and fast drumming gets on your nerves. Don't get that far into the song if you already have a headache. Along with Primea it makes for the heaviest song on the album. I also like how many of the songs have a constant acoustic guitar strumming in the background, which continues to play even when all other instruments have died down. I love that there's a lot going on in every song. Every musician complements the next. On the other hand Moonsorrow end most of their songs on this album with some bird chirping or eagle crying. That or sounds of wind blowing and water dripping in a cave. When a song ends, I don't feel like listening to something that isn't an instrument for another two minutes, I want to hear the next song. I like that Moonsorrow are progressive folk because it's an original style, but there is a difference between being progressive and not getting to the point because you're trying too hard to create an atmosphere with a whole bunch of eccentric outros. If this album were stolen or lost I might buy other Moonsorrow albums first to see what they are like. I have pretty high expectations.

TomD03
    Very surprised to see this on front page, but pleasant surprise. I absolutely adore Moonsorrow, and though this isn't my favorite of theirs, it is still an exceptional album
    sea`
    I really have to disagree with this review. The whole point of the album is to create a sort of soundscape that is meant to be listened to from start to finish without pause. The ambient sections between and within songs contribute immensely to the album's atmosphere. Moonsorrow are rooted in black metal and if anything the blastbeats are closer to their original sound seen on earlier demos like Tm Ikuinen Talvi . If you aren't a fan of black metal, I can understand, but if all you want is bouncy folk metal then go back to Finntroll, Ensiferum, or just put "Pakanajuhla" from Suden Uni on repeat for an hour. Vocally I think this is Moonsorrow's strongest effort: Ville's vocals are incredible effective throughout and the choirs do an incredible job of adding to the epic feeling that pervades the entire work. That moment where Ville sounds like he's dying (I think you're talking about his screaming in "Jotunheim") is the emotional climax of the album and the amount of passion in his voice is insurmountable. Honestly, I think you might have been looking at things from the wrong angle. Moonsorrow have done some bouncier, lighter, and more "fun" folk metal albums in the past, but these works are immature, and I feel that they deviate from the band's original intention (not to downplay them, because they are still good). Veriskeet is officially where the band became serious, and stopped kidding around, and it shows. The complexity of the music and the entire unwavering vision far surpasses anything they've previously released. They went even farther on the follow-up, Viides Luku - Hvitetty , which I view as their best so far, and I highly doubt they'll ever go back. The difference between Kivenkantaja and Veriskeet is in the intention and tone; while the former is meant to be enjoyed, the latter is meant to be appreciated. Of course, I realise this is the reviewer's first and only Moonsorrow album, and I would definitely recommend Kivenkantaja and Voimasta Ja Kunniasta , as they probably fall more in line with what he initially expected.
    Apocalypse4162
    Moonsorrow is the most amazing present-day band I've ever heard, I have all their CDs except their newest one, Kivenkantaja is the best one in my opinion. The first song on that CD is the sweetest thing I've ever heard. Moonsorrow's musical quality is what freaks me out the most, I've never heard another band match the quality and depth that Moonsorrow has. Ville has so much effort put into his vocals, you can tell that he is really passionate and cares about the music hes helping produce, and that extra little bit he puts in really blows my mind, his screams are so freaky, as the reviewer said it may sound like he's dying sometimes, but thats an amazing amount of effort! I cant really say all I want to say about Moonsorrow in this because it will take too long, but my final word is I suggest Kivenkantaja to anyone who is starting Moonsorrow, I didnt like Verisakeet at first myself but it grew on me and now it's my second favourite next to Kivenkantaja. I highly suggest it, because you pretty much get engulfed in the music, thats how deep it is, its almost like a drug or something, it just takes you into a whole different atmosphere for a while, you leave reality, and go to wherever your mind takes you for the time being.
    Apocalypse4162
    I kind of hope that Moonsorrow doesn't become a huge popular band though, like Dimmu Borgir, to me they were awesome, and still are, but they are so big now, everyone knows them, and there are a lot of posers out there who claim to be big fans, and I just don't want the same thing happening with Moonsorrow. Im sure it wont though, anybody who likes Moonsorrow for sure REALLY likes them, because all their songs take much more than 1 listen to really start getting into the songs and hearing everything, cause 1 listen just isn't enough, and posers wouldn't give the songs more than 1 listen I am sure, theyd probably just not like the music and move onto less deep music or something.
    sea`
    Eh, Moonsorrow aren't that popular, and I doubt they'll let their popularity turn them into something quote-unquote "mainstream". I don't think they're concerned with fame and fortune nearly enough to alter their musical style. If anything, they've become far more impenetrable over the last couple of albums for most listeners due to the increased black metal elements. It was only really around Kivenkantaja when they started to get popular, and that's because the album appeases both those that like atmospheric epic metal and those that like the bouncier, more fun stuff. Now, they've gone in a completely different direction, and if anything, have alienated a lot of their fan base.
    The Black Salts
    Interesting band with an interesting style. I compare Moonsorrow to Opeth by how many listens it takes to get into some of the tracks, however Opeth have deviated a little from that in favour of some catchier material. I think it all has to do with the band's influences. Some bands start listening to completely different music in the middle of their careers and it affects their own work. Obviously Moonsorrow have decided to stick to a new kind of atmospheric sound than some of their earlier material. All the power to them.