Gateways To Annihilation review by Morbid Angel

• Released: Oct 17, 2000
Morbid Angel: Gateways To Annihilation

Man...crush me one more time..I 'll admit I was a little taken back when I heard some of the tunes on this album. I really enjoy the heavy slower ones, as I am also a fan of bands like Cathedral and Black Sabbath {who isn't?}.....I have to commend Trey Azogthoth on "at one with Nothing" especially......great riffs and shredding solos are on mark, and the tune is multifaceted as it builds and builds...This may be one of the heaviest riffs ever written, while still paying homage to Trey's favorite bands {van Halen, Jimi Hendrix}...I especially like the harmonized middle part, with slow flowing moments in the solo...VERY DEEP!!! Many of the other songs are great too..."I" is a nasty song in typical Morbid Angel fashion....the jabbing single note riffing and odd time signatures that don't sound odd until you find yourself trying to count them with your small brain.....Trey for president..sadly the band is in search of a new rhythm guitarist and singer right now, but have done plenty to have a motley crue of young death metalers ready to join the fold ....buy this one!!!