Illud Divinum Insanus review by Morbid Angel

• Released: Jun 6, 2011
Morbid Angel: Illud Divinum Insanus

The long awaited/anticipated Morbid Angel album with legendary death metal front man David Vincent filled me at once with both fear and excitement. Why? Because like all "reunion" style albums they are usually either just passable or just tragic. Sadly (or luckily?) "Illud Divinum Insanus" falls into the former. It is just passable. Sound wise everything is fantastic, Trey's guitar sound is as awesome as it ever was, Destructhor's solos are easily distinguishable, Dave's bass is there in all its glory as are his vocals and Tim Yeungs drums thunder along like a steam train at midnight. You are able to tell that it isn't "Commando" "Pete Sandoval behind the kit purely by the techniques. Not that this detracts from the sound but those of us who were really drooling at a complete joining of the 3 amigos from the Covenant era might feel short changed. Everything is crisp and tight and the production has everything sounding like it should. Otherwise as I said everything sounds good. No Pete drumming.

Lyrics are the usual Morbid Angel fair. Lots of mystique, folklore and witchery. Nothing new, just what you would expect of Morbid Angel. As with any death metal style record the lyrics are suitable dark enough for the type of music that is being played. Singing about flower arrangements wouldn't suit the kind of blast beat filled mayhem that is can be found here. Dave Vincent's vocals sound more in line with "Domination" delivery... More voice, less throat. Personally I would have like a little bit more throat. But that being said he delivers with aplomb and in any style his voice sounds as good as ever. More throat please.

The fact that Pete Sandoval unfortunately had to undergo surgery to fix his back and therefore couldn't perform on this record is a let down. But obviously a mans health far outweighs anything else. However all through the album it does feel like something is missing. Trey and Destructhor's shredding is a delight through out. Sadly for me it isn't completely a return to form (were they ever out of form?) You be the judge but as great as it is to have Dave Vincent back I feel Morbid Angel has missed a trick. I guess it depends on what you prefer. Early melody driven Morbid Angel or post modern faster is better Morbid Angel. The instrumental interludes that intersperse most Morbid Angel records are lacking here, and electronic sounds are great for B-sides, not a death metal record. Album low point... The song "Radikult" is just woeful. It gave me the same kind of vibe I felt the day I first heard "Ain't My Bitch" from Metallica. A mixture of grief and despair. Album high point: "Nevermore". A song that will doubtless stay entrenched in the set list for many years to come. Overall this is a solid effort from one of the pioneers of death metal. It won't cheapen their catalog but it probably won't be remember as one of their greatest efforts. Maybe a few more playlist repeats will she'd more light on the intricacies but first impressions are not looking good. Most of the songs will sit nicely in the live set list and the song "Nevermore" is quite excellent but after 8 years and the re-introduction of Messer Vincent I was hoping for a little bit more. More melodies and instrumental interludes please.

krvolok
    Never has there been such a difference of opinions on something so simple.It's just horrible,so tiring and so forced.And gods above,if you don't understand the principle of grammatical genders then avoid using a language that has them,conjugation and declination are the least of your worries then.
    Deplorable
    This album is just an abortion, how anyone can sit through the writing process and decide that most of the ideas on these songs are good is beyond me.
    EpiExplorer
    Awful awful album, the only good bits are average for Morbid Angel at best. Best song is still Nevermore, and its nearly 3 years old anyway.
    CoolMcAwesome
    Agreed. This album is terrible. I got it and was all like "wtf is this?". I shit on this garbage.
    jpnyc
    You know what I love about Morbid Angel? The great memories I have of buying Covenant, right after it came out, on a cassette tape, and playing it until it wore out. I guess I'll just stick to the memories.
    InvaderTSN
    I thought it was a great album. I guess you guys just aren't hardcore radikult.
    BrandonBeaux
    overkill127
    BrandonBeaux wrote: InvaderTSN wrote: I thought it was a great album. I guess you guys just aren't hardcore radikult. (Brace for incoming shitstorm) But isn't Trey Azagthoth one of the top-rated metal guitarists around? You think he'd respect himself more than this...
    ....sarcasm?
    Ibeanez
    ...the floodgates have opened and seven seas of shit have been let loose on Morbid Angel.
    I lol'd hard. I haven't been paying attention, what was the line about pvc cowboy referring to? On another note, I guess if you really are insane and not just making silly faces for your album promo, then this might be the kind of crap you'd come up with.
    Ibeanez
    DethbyChocolate
    Slaytan666
    AtTheGates\m/ wrote: Loki_37 wrote: I'm really doubting it's as bad as you all make it out to be. listen to Radikult on youtube
    Nafon
    WHAT IS THIS? DID THEY TAKE A DUMP ON THEIR INSTRUMENTS AND SOLD IT AS A RECORD?
    Senor Kristian
    Slaytan666 wrote: I did, and that song is infectious as hell. If that song got some airplay, a LOT of people would buy the album. I know it's cheese compared to the rest of their catalog, but it's still pretty kick-ass. Better than Rob Zombie.
    The fact that we are down comparing Morbid Angel to Rob Zombie really shows how they have fallen.
    valdean
    DethbyChocolate wrote: Ibeanez wrote: Oh, and what's this "The Ancient Ones" nonsense? I'm pretty sure you have to at least be elderly before you start going by "ancient". I beleieve its refering to the "Ancient Ones" (I think thats what theyre called, or maybe its the Old ones, cant rememer) in the Necronomicon, which is where Trey came up with the Azagthoth part of his name.
    Trololololo
    fraberjam
    I am currently listening to the album, so far I'm not too impressed, but I am still enjoying it. I like industrial metal though. This is definitely not a classic Morbid Angel album by a LONG shot, but it's still not a Korn or Limp Bizkit album either. Most metalheads will hate me for enjoying it, but I do, not as much as their back catalog, but I do still find myself headbanging quite a bit while listening to it.
    hoint
    I just listen to last 20 seconds of Destructos going into nevermore over and over, it's actually quite good. Now if only the rest of the album sounded like the last 20 seconds of Destructos!
    d-340
    kerguitar08
    I don't really find the experimental tracks to be THAT bad (with the exception of "Too Extreme!"), but the album for the most part is boring and uninspiring.
    Deplorable
    Wait, did the second reviewer listen to this album, or does this person have a good knowledge of MA's back catalogue past what has been read on wikipedia (ie actually listened to these albums extensively)? Because it comes off that he has no idea what he's talking about, the line "Lyrics are the usual Morbid Angel fair" just sells that for me.
    oldschoolthrash
    Only part I disagree with is "sore thumb Steve Tucker". The guy is a great death metal vocalist and released some killer material with the band. Nader Sadek kicks all kinds of ass, as well.
    AtTheGates\m/
    Loki_37 wrote: I'm really doubting it's as bad as you all make it out to be.
    listen to Radikult on youtube
    ozi76
    I'd rather come home and find the dog nailin' the wife than listen to this again.
    Alex Hakansson
    The album is just absolutely horrid. More than 15 years of waiting for Vincent to return to the fold and this is what we get. I'm disgusted. I tried to listen to the album multiple times but there is just no redeeming quality to it. It sounds like something a record company like Hot Topics could release, if there is such a record company. I am sure Sandoval's back is fine, he just didn't want to be involved with such a load of crap. Illud, Cryptopsy's The Unspoken King, and St. Anger form the trinity of what has to be the most awful releases of the modern metal era. I hang my head in shame. And, am I mistaken or does every picture of the band portrays Vincent with eyeliner?
    krvolok
    Morbid Angel have done the impossible -everybody on the comments agree,for the first time ever.IDI unites us.
    postmortem2006
    Dreadful. Absolutely dreadful. Good job that I have Altars of Madness and Domination so I can pretend that this doesn't exist.
    buddoggydogg
    I haven't heard the album yet, but after reading these reviews and the following comments, I'm afraid to. I guess this means that the glory days of MA are long gone. I think once you make an album that is unanimously agreed upon as a piece of shit, all credibility is lost. There really isn't any coming back from that, is there?
    d-340
    d-340 wrote: Gave the album a good weeks worth of listening. The industrial tracks on here flat out suck, especially Radikult. What a joke. But the actual death metal songs, not bad. Definitely not the greatest, but not bad. I get a kick outta I Am Morbid, a death metal anthem song, I dig it. I'm a suck for anthem songs. As for the Tucker being a sore thumb crack, lol. Tucker was awesome. All 3 records MA put out with him were amazing.
    I'm a sucker, lol. I can spell!