Illud Divinum Insanus review by Morbid Angel

• Released: Jun 6, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Morbid Angel: Illud Divinum Insanus

Alright, alright, people. Stop crying over this album. Now, to start off, let me say that I've never been huge on Morbid Angel. I listened to Covenant and Altars of Madness, and thought "It's pretty good." I'd probably take Dying Fetus or Autopsy over it most days. But when I heard Insanus was more Industrial, I needed to listen to it. I'm a huge Marilyn Manson fan, and I love Fear Factory. So I guess unlike most Death Metal fans as a mass, I'm not a one-trick horse who hates everything but Metal. So yeah, I enjoyed this album. I think that Morbid Angel are better at playing Death Metal, but this was an enjoyable album for me. They took in well to the new sound, and I think "Radikult" is a pretty great song; definetly my favorite. It's definetly one of the least Death oriented and leaning way to the side of all-out Industrial Rock. But disregarding past albums, it's a good song.

The lyrics are definetly the thing on this albums, as well as the vocal style in general, that took it over the top and made it less and less what fans wanted. Definetly a sense of influence from White Zombie, I'd say. But once again, I don't have many complaints. I don't think Vincent's voice is best for this kind of music, but it flowed with the album to a certain degree, so... I'd let it slide.

So pretty much, as a Death Metal and Morbid Angel fan, it was a step down from past albums and I don't think they should do it again. As a fan of music in general, it was a good album, with a good amount of enjoyable songs and a few merely tolerable. I definetly think it was one of those albums where it's cool that they tried to experiment, they did a decent job at it, but it's unanimous that they need to stick with the traditional sound that all the die-hard, closed-minded fans will comply with.