Illud Divinum Insanus review by Morbid Angel

• Released: Jun 6, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 3.3 Poor
Morbid Angel: Illud Divinum Insanus

I'm gonna say it right now: this album is terrible, laughable even, if it didn't come from one of the biggest names in death metal. I'm also gonna come clean right off the bat with my honest opinion of Morbid Angel in general. The only reason I mention this is because it will lead me to an important point toward the end of my review: I never really could get into the band. (BOO!!! YOU HERETIC!! YOU DISGUSTING FOOL! WHAT ARE YOU SAYING!? YOU SUCK! YOU DON'T LIKE REAL DEATH METAL! F**K YOU! TREY AZAGOTH THIS! DAVID VINCENT THAT! COVENANT AND ALTARS AND BLESSED AND BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!!!) Now you don't have to make a negative comment about that, right? You do? Well, f**k you. The sound. In terms of overall quality, it's ok. The guitars are present, the bass is present, and the techno/industrial elements, though sometimes cheesy sounding, often times don't even sound that bad. In fact, I'll be one of the first in line to commend Morbid Angel for trying something new! I'll also be one of the first to condemn Morbid Angel for taking an idea that could have been revolutionary on paper and turned it into, well, take your pick from words for doo-doo. While some of the song formatting is kind of cool and there are some catchy moments on the album, my biggest problem is the drumming. Or should I say, the use of technology to loop a simple idea over and over until you want to pull your hair out. And who's the drummer these days? None other than Tim Yeung, one of the most awesome drummers in modern metal. I mean, my God! I'm pretty sure I've seen him play blast beats with one foot! And you, Morbid Angel, refuse to take full advantage?!? SHAAAAME! I mean, there are some moments of kick-ass drums, but they are too far and few between for my taste, and I do understand the need to hold back sometimes. But holding back doesn't have to consist of looping the same lame backing track over and over for an entire verse. Ugh. There are some glimpses of the classic death metal style in there too. It's just that the riff writing on those seems pretty damn lazy. It's bad, but not total ear sodomy.

Remember a few seconds ago when I told you this album was not sonic ear sodomy? That's because it's lyrical ear sodomy. Ohhhh God, the lyrics. And the pseudo-rap. And David Vincent, um, not being David Vincenty enough. Yeah you know where this is going. If I could write a commercial for these lyrics, the script would look like this: (CORNY FIFTIES MUSIC) Are you tired of lyrics that mean something? Tired of lyrics that bash Christianity in a clever yet defiant way? Tired of dark lyrics about true evil! So is Morbid Angel! That's why they've decided to stop caring about their lyrics entirely for their new album, Illud Divinum Insanus! Check it out! You'll hear such weak sh*t as: (Lyrics scroll up the screen) "Kill a cop cop kill a cop kill a kill a kill a cop" "Laser vision has monitored for centuries/We've gathered evidence/ We know that you are diseased" "...Make you scream we're too extreme" "...Their juices wind and rain... Insane" "...Crossing the line, since 1989!" "WE ARE MORBID!" And other lame attempts at lyric writing to make you cringe in shame at the fallen status of a once legendary band! Illud Divinum Insanus! Here's what people are saying! "...EVEN THE SONG TITLES ARE RIDICULOUS!! Ten More Dead, I can understand. Radikult, THE F*CK IS THAT?!?!?!?"-Coverkillernation Order your complete sh*t today! Yeah, I wouldn't want to buy the album either. There are some redeeming lyrics, to be fair, particularly on Nevermore. But, overall, I'm pretty sure I wrote better stuff in the sixth grade. You know, back when Slayer scared me.

How do I say this without putting the stereotypical swearing sailor to shame? Boy this is going to be difficult considering I'm probably bordering on the unstated cuss limit here. Oh boy. Well, let me put it to you this way: IT SUCKS. IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCK IT SUCKS IT SUCKS. Weak writing, weak playing, weak...EVERYTHING! I'M PRETTY SURE MY GRANDMA COULD BEAT UP THIS ALBUM IF IT WAS A PERSON. GAAAAAAAAA! What will Morbid Angel do in the future? Well, hopefully not this. Like I said, the idea sounded awesome on paper, and if they do continue down this road, I hope they improve their lyrics and stop writing such half-assed riffs. Throwing in techno sounds here and there do not make lazy riffage "avant garde." Oh, and remember when I said I could never really get in to Morbid Angel? This album changed that? How could a record so bad do that? When this first came out, there was some serious outrage with fans and I myself found it quite repulsive and, while it did honestly did grow on me a tiny bit, I found myself looking through Morbid Angel's discography to see exactly why so many people were so upset. And now I think I have a bit of a better understanding, I even have found my favorite Morbid Angel record. It's Formulas Fatal to the Flesh. (Insert more booing and b*tching about how Steve Tucker isn't David Vincent here.) Morbid Angel, if by some random, miniscule chance one of you or one of your managers is reading this, look back at your body of work. I know this techno/industrial/death metal clusterf*ck is probably the sound you're going to stay with. All that I ask is that you bust your balls to make sure it doesn't blow nearly this hard. You've had your Risk (Heretic) and your St. Anger (This Abomination) now give us a New and everlasting Covenant, that will be for us AND for the industrial crowd so that Illud will be forgiven. An album that will go down in history as a the correct interpretation a great concept, redemption. Tall order, you probably can't fill it. Prove me wrong, Morbid Angel. Prove. Me. Wrong.