Live At Earls Court review by Morrissey

• Released: Mar 29, 2005
Morrissey: Live At Earls Court

This is another live album I really like. In 2005 Morrissey capitalized on the success of "You Are The Quarry" by releasing only his second ever live album. His other one "Beethoven Was Deaf" was released in 1993. He has a great backing band with standby Boz Boorer on guitar, Jesse Tobias also on guitar, Deano Butterworth on drums, Mikey V. Farrel on keyboards, and returning on bass Gary Day. The crowd really reacts to classic Smiths songs like "Bigmouth Strikes Again" and "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" along with is solo stuff like "The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get" and "November Spawned A Monster". Of course it opens with "How Soon Is Now?" which is the reason I bought it in the first place.

Morrissey, whether you like him or not, is a great songwriter. His band on the live album can play his old Smiths songs as well as his solo stuff with ease. Really, if it wasn't a live album and just them remaking his songs, it would be even better. I am not one for hearing the audience but whatever. It is kinda neat to hear the crowd react to some songs though.

I am not a big fan of live albums, but I do like this one. I would say I absolutely love "How Soon Is Now?" and "First Of The Gang To Die" the most. I don't like the way they do "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out". It seems to be too slow, not like the original. It loses something. If it were stolen, I would eventually buy it again.

Samhuinn
    swave75
    Samhuinn wrote: Seeing him live in august - I can't wait. This man has written the soundtrack to my adult life, if I may fall for such a clich. I think I might already go sleep in line, now '
    I saw him a couple years ago and he rocked!!!