The Unborn review by Mors Principium Est

• Released: May 2, 2005
Mors Principium Est: The Unborn

A not well heard of band, Mors Principium Est in laymans terms is what In Flames should be today; quick, brutal driving melodic death metal that does no more than one could ask for from this saturated genre. Nothing new is offered here, except possibly the liberal use of keyboards to back up the guitar riffs and the female singing in areas. Guitars like so many other bands in this genre are the driving force behind this band, and many riffs are pretty catchy (just check out the intro song Pure). Drumming is always a presence on this with the double bass going, and bass (when heard) does it's job of holding the songs together.

The vocals are not something I absoluty love about Mors Principium est, but they mostly get lost in the vicious onslaught of guitars and double bass. Basically take Wintersun's vocalist and you have Mors Principium Est. Lyrics, as far as I can tell, are the usual death metal topics; pain, suffering, frustration, death, ect. I havn't had the chance to look up the actual lyrics since I bought this album online (it is VERY hard to find any albums by this band in stores).

If you are a fan of early In Flames, or any other death metal/ melodic death metal, or just metal for that matter, I would give these guys a shot. It is a pleasent wake up call from the amount of metalcore/screamo going around these days. Though nothing new is brought to the table, and some of the songs can seem repetitive, Mors Principium Est do a very good job of creating songs that would put several other bands to shame. I have yet to listen to their other albums (they released a new one last year I believe), but if they continue on the same path they are bound to be a major driving force behind melodic death metal in the near future.