The Unborn review by Mors Principium Est

• Released: May 2, 2005
Mors Principium Est: The Unborn

Well, seeing as no one else has bothered to write another review of this album, I'll do it. This band is quite simply what In Flames used to sound like, only in the 2000's era. It's nothing any seasoned Melodic Death Metal fan hasn't heard, but it's certainly a really nice refresh from all the shitty metalcore, screamo, and post-hardcore that people seem to be getting into recently. It's a very pleasant listen. Particularly, the riffing is very easy to like, and the keyboards add a nice touch. They're not your regular "christmas" keyboards like in most other MDM (yes Children Of Bodom, I'm looking at YOU) bands today, but instead they're these ambient, deep, epic synths. The best track in terms of unity and completeness is Pure. The next song isn't really interesting in particular, seeing as its just another generic thrashy song. Another great song on the album is Altered State of Consciousness. It's a song that just makes you feel insane and angry, like you want to break everything in sight, but as soon as the softer chorus comes in, it's as if it's a total mood change. Quite nice, actually. Keeps the song fresh and interesting. And finally, the title track. Same deal as Altered State of Consciousness, only in reverse. It goes from a soft keyboard only intro, into an epic battle-like song that would be fit for any war scene. Other notable songs are Fragile Flesh and Spirit-Conception. Songs I'm less fond of are "Parasites of Paradise", "Pressure", and "Blood of Heroes".

The lyrics are pretty generic, I guess, in terms of themes. But they are very well written and add much depth to the songs. The lyrics in Pure probably describe some sort of religious peoples who suffered for their beliefs, with no reward from their deities. Just a guess. I listen to it when I get sick of Christian Zealots (although, not ALL christians are zealots. A lot are very polite and don't care about your beliefs) on the internet. Altered State of Consciousness deals with a man who is either under the influence of drugs or just straight up batshit insane. The Unborn, I'm not entirely sure, but it describes some sort of war torn region. Either way, the lyrics in this album make for some very interesting imagery, and it could be possible to just sit there and formulate entire stories from the songs. However, they often use personal pronouns, and I'm not too crazy for those, but that's all opinion. The singer is great, but, I wish he would've chose the tone of screaming/growling he used on this album for the next album.

It compares, in sort of a different way. The keyboards are definitely unique, although the idea of keyboards altogether is pretty old. The most impressive songs, as said before hand, are "Pure", "Altered State of Consciousness", "The Unborn", and "Fragile Flesh". I love pretty much everything about it, but not everyone may agree. There are certainly things about it I could understand someone hating. For example, sometimes clipping and distortion is audible in the tracks, the palm muted riffs are MUCH too loud, and with the loud bass drums, the both just start to melt together, and you might not be able to tell one from the other at certain times.

mr2METALthnLIFE
    definitely not rated high enough. this band is what melodic death metal bands wish they sounded like.... except for wintersun(: