Mother Love Bone review by Mother Love Bone

• Released: Jan 1, 1992
Mother Love Bone: Mother Love Bone

I had first heard of this band when looking up the history of Pearl Jam and purchased this album out of curiousity. When I got home and put it in the stereo, I was simply blown away. Mother Love Bone was definately an underated band (due in part to the early death of lead singer Andrew Wood). The band's sound is much like that of Pearl Jam mixed with earlier '70s stadium rock bands. Songs on this album range from the hard hitting sound of This is Shangrila to the soft acoustic number Stargazer to the beautiful melodies of Crown Of Thorns and Man Of Golden Words.

Although classified as a grunge band, Andrew Wood did not have the anti-rockstar attitude of Kurt Cobain or his predecessor Eddie Veddar. Had he been given the chance, Andrew Wood definately would have been a ledgendary frontman. Not only are the vocals amazing, but the lyrics are great as well. Often autobiographical, the lyrics deal with the bands attitude towards thier music and lives and they also at times can also take the fun approach at looking at things (Half Ass Monkey Boy).

This is a must have for fans of Pearl Jam or Temple Of The Dog (an album which was made as a tribute to Wood). Some of the most impressive songs on this album are This Is Shangrila, Stardog Champion, Stargazer, Crown Of Thorns, and Bone China. The guitar skills and vocals on this album are absolutly amazing. If this album were stolen/lost, I would definately replace it seeing as how it's hard to make it through a day without listening to at least one song off of it.