Even If It Kills Me review by Motion City Soundtrack

• Released: Sep 18, 2007
Motion City Soundtrack: Even If It Kills Me

Let me first start by saying, the first time I heard this album I hated it. Motion City Soundtrack is my favorite band and I preorder the CD and everything; I skipped after-school activities to come home and listen to it and I was seriously disappointed. I was looking for insight into love and loss as I always expect from this band and on that note they just didn't deliver. On my second listen, I read the lyrics as I listened and noticed a lot of political and other influences have shaped this band from just another pop-punk group singing about relationships to a group that really tries to share how they feel about the world around us and the dire situation we're in when it comes to things like environmental awareness. The songs "Hello Helicopter" and "Calling All Cops" caught my attention because they veer so much from typical MCS. All in all, Motion City Soundtrack has retained their place as the best band of the last decade in my eyes. On this album they've shown their ability to grow and develop as people and as a band as well.

As a lyricist myself the first thing I noticed is that Justin Pierre is an absolute genious. He refuses to follow in the footsteps of so many bands who seem to think using all rhyming words makes the music work, they use words that actually mean something and make sense without sounding too forced. The way they are able to use big words without sounding forced or obnoxious amazes me.

This album isn't my favorite MCS one by far; as a whole I am The Movie was much better but some songs that are absolutely standout and better than anything I've ever heard by them. Generally, I would suggest listening to "Point Of Extinction", "Even If It Kills Me", "It Had To Be You", and "Fell In Love Without You". If you've been turned off from buying this alubm as I was after hearing the first two singles, don't be discouraged; they're the worst songs on the entire album. Basically, buy it. Give it a shot.

Capnjak
    I LOVE this album. The sound and lyric combination is amazing. My favorite is "Even if it Kills Me." Genius. MCS is GENIUS.
    Capnjak
    Oh and their concert was amazing too.. They did SO well on "Last Night." Love that song too.
    glugger
    Why do bands have to wreck perfectly good songs by swearing in them? hello helicopter is good song but they wreck it by swearing in it. bloc party did the same thing with positive tension. i like calling all cops