Go review by Motion City Soundtrack

• Released: Jun 12, 2012
Motion City Soundtrack: Go

It's revenge of the sith with MCS's fifth studio album, "Go". The boys haven't strayed far from the tried and true method of poppy riffs and Justin's imaginative, metaphorical writing style. Each song has a story to tell and progresses the record in a well paced manner. The deluxe disc offers three additional tracks, all of which, in my opinion, deserve to be on the main track list. To understand the musical style on "Go" you can read over reviews from all four past records.

The lyrical content is the main focal point of this album, as it wraps up Justin's struggle with substance abuse over the past decade. From manic, paranoid behavior in the first two albums which made us all sit up and listen, all the way to detox and rehab on the last album ("My Dinosaur Life"), it now has come full circle. (I'm excluding "Even If It Kills Me" because no one really understood where they were going with that one.) "Go" presents the final chapter of the battle with his recovery and new sense of well being.

In comparison to other albums in the Motion City discography, "Go" falls short of offering anything new and/or exciting. Songs such as "Happy Anniversary" involve the death of a loved one which is a far cry from the bands usual love ballad. The two tracks that stood out for me were "The Coma Kid" and the first single "True Romance", don't ask me why. I'm happy they haven't gone in a different direction over the years but also feel a bit lost because the album feels like an ending of an era. Who knows? Maybe the next album will be a relapse and the whole process will start of again.

saveme777
    Overall, I liked this album, but it's not their best work. Though, the great thing about this album is that it sounds just like their previous albums. They said in an interview that a couple of their songs, like "Bad Idea" and "Circuits and Wires" were meant for previous albums but were pushed off until finally appearing in this one.
    EyesWideOpen
    coolmonkey wrote: your all rEALLY FUCKIN STUPID, the album had a great amount of maturity and reflection to it, and if your favorite songs were the first two you really missed out on a great piece of work. also they've grown at a good pace nice and implenting new influences when its a appropriate
    Even if the album did have any maturity to it then I doube you'd have been the one to recognise it.
    pncoutts
    I thought it was a great album, and yeah it was similar to previous efforts, but that's why I listen to MCS because it sounds like MCS.... it was good stuff.
    Vash_15
    Album was average at best. I think the only tracks I'm still playing are Coma Kid and True Romance
    coolmonkey
    Msu_Man04
    An overall very solid album, with some standout tracks in "Timelines" and "Happy Anniversary," and I personally really like just about every other song, I just know they won't hit most people as well.