Hooray For The Madness [DVD] review by Motion City Soundtrack

• Released: Jun 20, 2006
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 8

Motion City Soundtrack is one of the most lively, hardworking bands of our age in my opinion. They stared off really small, and still haven't hit their full potential but have made an impression. Their lead singer, Justin, who writes their music, is not only talented with writing a melody but also a decent guitar player. Their bass player, Matt, is also one heck of a musician and clearly knows what he is doing. The drummer, Tony, is also a good drummer because him and Matt both went to college and took about two or so years of college. What I like about Motion City Soundtrack is that they aren't screamo, I'm getting so sick of screamo bands now, save a few like Silverstein who are also very good. Also, Motion City Soundtrack doesn't have too much of a negative message. Sure a few "F" bombs here and there but no sex, drugs, and Satinism, just a few "drunk" lines but it's all in good fun, I can live with it. I think taht in the future, Motion City Soundtrack will be the mainstream band.

Content — 9
The DVD is full of band history, favorites, good times, and miscellaniuos things. They talk about the crew, technicians and such, touring, what they do for fun and a lot more along with the concert at 7th Street Entry in Minnisota where the band had started. I don't know the song list by heart but I know they open it with Hangman and has Time Turned Fragile, Makeout Kids, Attractive today, Everything is Alright, The Future Freaks Me Out, Better Open The Door, Capital H, Boombox Generation, Back To The BeatDon't Call It A Comeback, and My Favorite Accident in some sort of order. I thought the entire show was good and they put their hearts and souls into it except I didn't think Everything is Alright didn't come out as good as I hoped. They also have the videos up to their most recent L.G. Fuad and the making of all of them. It also has a lot of little stories here and there about the concert.

Production Quality — 8
Mainly the DVD is a documentary on MCS and how they get around, along with the live concert. I think that it's just a big home video that they threw together for fun, great idea and I like it, it brings out how much they love their job, especially on how they lived in a one or two bedroom house while recording Commit This to Memory. Some may say it's poor but when you just want to have fun and make a movie, don't pay millions for a high quality camera when you got a home video.

Moyion City Soundtrack is unique and will always be unique and I think that the entire DVD is worth watching over and over again, it's good for entertainment and for young bands to see what it would be like to be a huge band one day iand what they have to do to accomplish their dreams. I love that these guys took the time to make this it's great and gave me a few laughs, these guys know how to have fun. There is nothing to hate about it, it's jsut a fun DVD but has a lot of cussing so leave to yourself.

Joe_Wilcox
    Rock On MCS! I've been a fan of them for quite some time and i think i'll try and get hold of this DVD!
    gtr-boy
    whao it got released quite awhile ago does anyone know where i can get my hands on this?
    xXbleed4meXx
    See...I like Motion City...but I hate this review for the following quotes:
    and
    adslam3
    bands seems to get mainstream when they start to get really popular. it happens. music spreads and fanbase grows and because of this, the band is publicized more...but i suppose they could tell fans to piss off so they can stay "underground" ...
    Crimsoned
    You get alot of money when you go mainstream. And the world revolves around money.
    fret13
    xXbleed4meXx wrote: See...I like Motion City...but I hate this review for the following quotes: The drummer, Tony, is also a good drummer because him and Matt both went to college and took about two or so years of college. and Motion City Soundtrack doesn't have too much of a negative message. Sure a few "F" bombs here and there but no sex, drugs, and Satinism, just a few "drunk" lines but it's all in good fun, I can live with it. I think taht in the future, Motion City Soundtrack will be the mainstream band. Two things: MCS has a song entitled "Let's Get Fucked Up and Die" which in the title alone has drug/alcohol and suicide/overdose conotations. (Yeah I know he says "I'm speaking figuratively" but gimme a break) Second, I'm not one of the pricks that hangs out around this site and calls misc. bands "sellouts" or "posers" or whatever, but MCS is already pretty mainstream. And that's not neccesarily a positive thing. At least it wouldn't be a reason to buy this DVD. In conclusion, this is the first user-posted review to appear on UG that actually made me angry, so good job.
    ok first off i forgot that part of the review was in there about Tony so oops on my part, LG Fuad is just a for fun song because it clearly states in the song like you said "I'mSpeaking figuritively of course." besides the song is more about fitting in. yess MCS has gotten big but i personally dont like to think of them as mainstream because it seems that these dayss mainstream bands go bad. so lets not make an arguement of this and keep with our opiinions.