My Dinosaur Life review by Motion City Soundtrack

• Released: Jan 19, 2010
Motion City Soundtrack: My Dinosaur Life

Already one of the most anticipated releases of the new year, Motion City have a lot to make up for. Even If It Kills Me was an awkward stumble away from formula, screaming, "look, we matured!" Unfortunately, the collection just didn't stand up, even disappointing long time fans like myself. Well, My Dinosaur Life is Motion City's REAL maturity album, going away from their basic moog-influenced sound and injecting some rough guitar and catchy melody to deliver the band's best release to date.

Justin's lyrical stylings have always been a highlight of MCS, and on Dinosaur, he really lets himself go. From the raw catchiness of Disappear, to the profanity laiden @!#?@!, he exposes himself in a new way, giving listeners an even deeper look into his mind than he ever did with Even If It Kills Me or Commit This To Memory. His vocals also sound more raw this time around, giving the record kind of a punk rock feel while still remaining relentlessly catchy.

My Dinosaur Life is a very grand collection of songs from a very capable band. They have surpassed critical expectations, as well as my own. The band has given their formula a complete overhaul, putting more emphasis on guitar and drum work than the usually dominating Moog. The production value is terriffic, and honestly, I cannot find a single thing I truly hate about this album. Truly a candidate for rock album of the year.

Echoplex
    What is with emo kids and dinosaurs???? This has perplexed me for a while...
    ninjagayden777
    Echoplex wrote: What is with emo kids and dinosaurs???? This has perplexed me for a while...
    Because dinosaurs kick ass, duh.
    PrizeInferno
    EpiExplorer wrote: Sounds seriously lame. Music for a Miley Cyrus TV program maybe?
    because Miley Cyrus swims in pharmaceuticals and writes songs about people being mother****ers lol