Creatures review by Motionless In White

• Released: Oct 11, 2010
Motionless In White: Creatures

Motionless In White are one of the best modern hardcore bands out today. This record shows this from beginning til end. It's incredible how most of it comes from just the minds of frontman Chris, who writes all the guitars and lyrics, and drummer Angelo. I'm not sure who writes the keyboard parts, if Balz doesn't. Creatures has a different sound from When Love Met Destruction, but they stay loyal to the hardcore and "emo" stylings they established in WLMD. There are many parts that they did take from their unreleased full length which was also called "When Love Met Destruction". A few examples are the singing part in the middle of the song "Creatures" (which was in the title track/intro of WLMD), "We Only Come Out At Night" was on that full length, as was City Lights(also known as "Bananamontana"). They also brought .Com from their first EP called The Whorror. They did an excellent job with every aspect of this release. The singing is excellent, as is the screaming. Chris and TJ both got a lot better and it really shows. It is a horror themed album, and they definitely did a great job keeping that going throughout the entire album.

The lyrics are definitely a lot more structured and educated than the lyrics on WLMD. Chris did a great job portraying classic horror stories in some of the songs. Jack the Ripper in "London in Terror", The Crucible, which isn't a "horror story" but I mean whatever, in "Abigail", Sleepy Hollow in "Undead Ahead", and Edward Scissorhands in Scissorhands(The Last Snow). What also is really impressive is how the song "Creatures" is entirely fan written. I don't know what the deal is with the singing part from the WLMD intro, but I assume it was fan written back in the day, since the CD booklet says that song is ENTIRELY fan written.

The album as a whole is very impressive. They did a great job with it, and it was worth the couple years of me waiting for new songs. I love this album. It shows how hard they work, and how much they love their fans. Motionless In White isn't your ordinary band, and this album shows it.

Vince0707
    if u look at this album with an open mind and compare it to the other bands in this "genre" its definitely one of the better ones.. im a fan of this kind of music but i will admit, the more i get new albums from the next "tdwp imitation bands" the more i say to myself "man, all they did was play and open note for an entire album and every song sounds the same" lol but i was pleasantly surprised with this effort from MIW. also, there are lots of songs that stick out, it didnt seem like every song meshed together like some bands do (woe is me, a bullet for pretty boy) but yea, if youre into the whole synth/breakdown/scream/sing thing, then this will be a really fun album for you. and the guitar tones and recording quality are spot on. if youre not into this kind of music then idk what youre doing here.
    Black Ox
    I saw these guys open for All That Remains. To me, they're garbage. They were doing all of the "crabcore" moves and I just laughed my ass off.
    Metorical
    There was quite a bit of speculation in this 'review' about both the band and the cd, and not enough actual reviewing. Maybe if you picked a band or cd that you know more about you'll end up with a more fluid and informative review. I don't mean to sound rude (although I'm almost positive it comes across that way haha), just thought I'd give you some advice
    The Spoon
    Ever notice how in bands like these, all of the members look the same, but then there's always one guy who looks like he was on 'to catch a predator'... singer sounds a lot like the dude from atreyu. abigail is an alright song, sounds a lot like August Burns Red
    r0ckth3d34n
    I really liked this CD. I found it to be quite hardcore. You can't say that a band with breakdowns, screams and a little bit of synth isn't hardcore, especially when the band says they are. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, especially in music. More people need to realize that.
    .Wretch.
    He mad.
    ckragh
    .Wretch. wrote: billfix123 wrote: guess what those ****ng bands are gay go back to the 80s u queer ass "emocore" no all of these bands dont consider them self emocore u **** asses He mad.
    hahhahhahaha
    thePTOD
    This band is NOT hardcore. I've known them since last year, their EPs were pretty much metalcore with horror punk themes. Then I heard Abigail, and it was just another scene kid breakdown song. They went the safe route and now they sound like the other scene bands. They're basically a more emo version of Attack Attack.
    HH_Emo_666
    these guys came from the area which I live in, honestly, they used to be a lot better when they first started making music. I've never seen them live, but they're music is just completely terrible anymore. It consists of shitty breakdowns (which is why this scene is dying out because every band sounds the same) and poppy syth, along with decent screams. They have no originality.
    dognoisefile
    catalyst329
    This is one of those bands where I couldnt even listen to them after seeing a picture of them, but i forced myslelf to. Im not gonna lie they are a little beter than i thought they would be based of just looks, but i still dont like them at all though. Sounds like a rip off of zombies
    psilocyndreams2
    band's honestly not nearly as bad as people say it is. still another generic metalcore band though; nothing special. their horror/whatever image is pretty atrocious though, but whatever
    ckragh
    god, i saw a link to black veil brides when i was on the motionless in white myspace page and i clicked it cuz ill take a listen to any music.... wow... :O haha
    xicetraex
    Hells.Mascot wrote: where is my penis can someone tell me please i dont even
    DISPATCHING COUNTER TROLLS
    ckragh
    crazysam23_Atax wrote: jetfuel495 wrote: Is it really hardcore or is it like one of those bands everyone calls hardcore but they aren't?Good question. Maybe the review should've answered that. Btw, anybody else feel lines like: Motionless In White are one of the best modern hardcore bands out today. This record shows this from beginning til end., show fanboyism? I mean, definitely didn't feel very professional.
    Yes, indeed! Very much so. I can't believe that UG would allow him to say "one of the best modern hardcore bands" when it is clearly not hardcore.
    Shoeless Hobo 8
    honestly this review is pretty dead on. The album is incredible, i havent stopped listening. The breakdowns are heavy and the chorus's are amazing. its an all-in-all amazing cd
    Gloii
    i recommend you buy this CD.. whatever happens these guys are going to make it very well
    Disturbed_EMG
    I haven't heard anything off this album but I liked their old stuff and from what I can tell, this is even better. I'll have to look into it.
    Amuro Jay
    Gizmotechno
    crazysam23_Atax
    , show fanboyism? I mean, definitely didn't feel very professional.
    iH8CarAccidents
    dognoisefile wrote: Bah I'm so sick of narrow-minded people romanticizing everything that's not a new release. If all you ever want to hear is the same old stuff you're used to, why bother? The majority of people on here just comment on shit they don't like so they can trample someone elses opinion. Get over it, people don't agree with you, let it go ffs. *Btw, comment on this album, it's alright but hasn't blown me away.*
    This is the same old thing we're used to at this point. For the most part, these guys sound like most other "hardcore" bands out there. They've all bought into the whole The Devil Wears Prada and Attack Attack sound that seems to be getting so popular these days. At least The Devil Wears Prada are taking steps away from that sound judging by the way Zombie sounded. All in all this band is pretty good, and if I'd never heard of any of the other bands in this genre, I'd probably like this a lot. But knowing how generic it sounds, it kinda takes away from what talent they have for me.
    -tempest-
    theyre scene kids. emo is a style of music, not fashion.
    EpiExplorer
    -tempest- wrote: ckragh wrote: They're reviews seem to be getting worse lately once in a while and more following how many teenage emo kids show up at the show instead of actual good music.. Disappointing.. theyre scene kids. emo is a style of music, not fashion.
    Emocore is music, emo is fashion.
    foster.getagrip
    Gizmotechno wrote: why does the album cover remind me of ADTR's Homesick album cover!! i know i havent been totally awake to the music scene but, how can this be called "Modern Hardcore" , when ppl say hardcore, bands that come to mind are bands like H20, Madball, Minor Threat and Sick of it all!!
    haha for real. Hardcore to me is Minor Threat 100%
    sleepofangels64
    I suggest you go listen to them and your question shall be answered =P Start with "Ghost In The Mirror" and work your way up.
    Slaytan666
    ckragh wrote: I got excited and scared at the same time when I read "one of the best modern hardcore bands out today"... Scared was the right one... It's just more crappy emocore.
    +10