Infamous review by Motionless In White

• Released: Nov 13, 2012
Motionless In White: Infamous

I'll start off by saying that this album is different to "Creatures". It was stated by Chris "Motionless" Cerulli just before it was released, and it has certainly followed through on that promise. "Creatures" was a great album, in my opinion, but it was filled with constant verse, chorus, breakdown progressions. Motionless have certainly taken it up a notch in this album and taken the more metal route, following in the footsteps of artists such as Slipknot and Marilyn Manson. And they have pulled it off. The album is very crisp and well made, and I feel that this change in style for the band is a good step forward, as they have always said how they are influenced by Marilyn Mason and Slipknot, but this is the first album to really bring this through. Some people may not like the change, but the change in genre will bring along new fans as well as keep many old ones too. Overall brilliant, and while there are still a couple of songs that have the same old routine, they have went all out on this album, and you can really tell.

The lyrics are very well written, as they always are on a Motionless In White album, adopting a very dark theme to them, but there is a noticeable difference in the lyrics in some songs. For example, song like "Infamous" and "If It's Dead, We'Ll Kill It" bring back the old theme of telling the world that they don't care what they think and that no God nor any "higher society" celebrities are going to tell them what to do. However, in songs like "Sinematic" and "Black Damask (The Fog)", the lyrics are more like a break up gone wrong, and they are brought through even stronger with the impressive instruments in the background. Chris has improved his metal voice, giving it a deeper tone and going more towards Slipknot than Asking Alexandria, for example, but his clean vocals are still as good as they always have been, a very good performance in this aspect.

To compare with "Creatures" and the EP "When Love Meets Destruction" is a difficult one, as the genre of music they play across the albums has changed, so in their respective genres, they are both top class albums. If I were to compare it with other artists, I would say it's a mix of Slipknot and Marilyn Manson, with an element of old Motionless In White still there to give it that feel of making the album their own. In my opinion, the most impressive songs on the album are "Underdog", "Burned At Both Ends" and "A-M-E-R-I-C-A" as they all incorporate what made us love Motionless In White in the first place, with the new sound they have adapted. I love the album as a whole, a lot of time was spent on it and you can definitely tell that they worked as hard as they could on this album, my only issue really is that I don't feel the instruments are performing to the same level as they have in previous albums, while still by no means simple, I don't think that it is as complicated or impressive as it used to be, but it sounds brilliant regardless. If this album was stolen or lost, I would definitely go out and buy a new copy when I could, as it is the kind of album that has much replay value, and it something that could easily be listened to over again.

agentofchaos
    I like the sound of the album, but lyrically , it sucks. they drop the f bomb way too many times. dont get me wrong, i dont mind it here and there but the amount they use it only alludes to the idea that they lack the capacity to write anything better. "You're just a hollow shell, infecting who you ****/ I just want to watch you ****ing die, mother****er" really creative huh?
    EpiExplorer
    I dont even need to be here, this band is its own parody.
    Skyvalve2012
    Epi's rants = awesome..due to finally someone really speaking out against core music or whatever... I salute you.
    TheMetalcoreGuy
    I'm not going to bash anyones opinion or anything, but I'm just curious, what makes MiW a parody band?
    EpiExplorer
    In their attempt to be 'unique' or 'extreme', they just look goofy. Their music is simply banal deathcore with synths and emasculated vocals. They're like Black Veil Brides in their overall image. Its as fullfilling as a tasetless fast food salad: You didn't really need it in the first place, and you're left feeling empty at the end. I could go on all day.
    vppark2
    Epi, that was a great example. Holy crap, haha and i went out for black friday shopping yesterday with a friend who wanted McDonald's. Me being the person i am to watch my weight, i bought a salad (which was meh) while she had a big mac.
    chrisvasco23
    i really liked the creatures album. some songs got repetitive really quick. but i cant stand this album. i tried to, but the lyrics are borderline ridiculous. it seems like with the f bomb drops every song the singer is trying to prove hes angry. ive heard angrier bands that dont cuss at all, heres to hoping that 3rd album is better
    Metallidethium
    I've been saying it but if the rest of the album sounded like "Burned At Both Ends", it would be a great album. There is a decent song here and there but for the most part, the album is a boring, industrial mess.
    captain_blood
    I don't think Slipknot and Marilyn Manson were mentioned enough in that review.
    staceap
    Probably partly due to the fact that, after the first two songs, everything sounds like a more down-tuned Manson album with Chris's vocals over the top.
    BuriedAlive7x
    This album is fantastic!! My favorite songs are: Hate****, Sinematic, & The Divine Infection!! Also the title track "Infamous" has some Korn influenced vocals..
    DreamGate
    I cried. God I dont mind heavy or messy (well it is more industrial than messy, that I'll agree) songs and I grew up listening to garage bands but my god this is..... Shit. I cant put it in any other form. They dropped the f word so much, I must atleast be entitled to saying 's***' aremt I?
    vppark2
    Soooo, ya'll like to scare me away by reviewing this album the day after Thanksgiving on this Black Friday...alright Ive had enough, Im out.