When Love Met Destruction review by Motionless In White

• Released: Feb 3, 2009
Motionless In White: When Love Met Destruction

Motionless in White completely broke off into a tangent from all of the stereotypical Metalcore/Post-Hardcore scene. Utilizing a synthesizer, syn choirs and other eerie atmospheric effects. The drums combined with the guitar are completely brutal, while still being classified (loosely) into the Metalcore genre. The only downside I can think of is the lack of changing tone and ambiance; It often seems like the guitars simply play open-fretted notes or the same note many times. While this is not a huge thing, as it is really isn't too noticeable, it's a pet-peeve of mine.

The lyrics center around love, vampires, and occult-esque things. Very stereotypical Gothic (which they do claim to be Gothic, so it's not too surprising). Most of the lyrics that are cleanly sung are very creative, and are likely to creep into your Facebook status every now-and-again. The only song I didn't like lyrically was "Whatever You Do ... Don't Press the Red Button!" which is about necrophilia (ehem...) but it was, even then, written romantically. Vocally, this is one of the best bands I've heard. The clean vocals in this album are to-die-for, and surprisingly not auto-tuned (seen them live multiple times). The screaming vocals are excellent as well, however, I'm not a fan of their low-pitched growls. They're not completed screams, they're somewhere in the middle between clean and screaming.

As I said before, this band went completely off on a creative tangent with this album, and it will be very polarizing between being "Emo/Goth crap" or a masterpiece. Personally, I've fallen in love with the band (Could you tell?) As far as favorite songs off of this album, whenever I introduce someone to this band I show them "She Never Made it To The Emergency Room" (There are two versions, make sure it's the WLMD version), because the introductory screaming instantly captures the listener. Aside from that, the romantic, slower tracks at the end are very nice, for love weenies such as myself. I honestly don't know of anything I dislike in this album, besides not being a huge fan of most of their Gothic themes, it is very well written instrumentally. If stolen or lost, I would buy it twice, just to say I did.