Motograter review by Motograter

• Released: May 27, 2003
Motograter: Motograter

I remember hearing about this band through a friend back in 2003, and after hearing a few of the tracks I was hooked. The band's use of a home made instrument called a motograter, along with their grim tone, and the deepness of the lyrical content add together for a band that was a fresh breath of air for metal listeners at the time of release.

Lyrically, I think this album is amazing. Ivan has an amazing voice, in all of it's highs and lows - his great sense of pitch, it manages to add to the already dark and grim sound of the band and pushes the album forward even more. The lyrics, while typically about dark topics such as death and war, are highly poetic, with the hooks and choruses of many of the songs being highly catchy and singable. I think this is where the album stands out most.

Its hard to compare this band, as well as their album, to other bands of the time because of the uniqueness of their instrument lineup (no other band uses a motograter - hence their name). Vocally, when compared to other bands that garnered attention at the time (such as Slipknot and Korn), I definately prefer Ivan, Motograter's and later Five Finger Death Punch's vocalist. He manages to hit the scratchy, crunchy low tones characteristic to most of the metal acts of the time, but also carries it into a beautiful high that adds a lot of character and enhances the overall effect of the album as a whole. The only thing I disliked about the album was the filler tracks in between each song. While it does add to the overall dark-vibe of the album, I think it's a bit overdone. Otherwise, it's a great album from a great band that sadly didn't receive much attention during their existence. I'd suggest any fan of the new generation's metal, as well as the band Five Finger Death Punch, look into getting a hold of this rare album. If anyone stole this, I'd definately buy it again, which would be a feat in itself considering it's rarity. Definite must have for metal fans and those looking for a taste of something different.

Mainer
    I love the song Suffocate. And I never knew that they used an instrument called a motograter