1916 Review

Motörhead: 1916
Released: Feb 26, 1991
Genre: Hrad Rock, Heavy Metal
Label: Epic, WTG Records
I'm not a big Motorhead fan and I think this wasn't the best CD to get started with. It's kind of boring album unless you're more into this kind of music. It has it's good moments, but I just don't like their blues stylish non-melodic music. It just didn't work too well, but wasn't too bad.
 8.4
 7.3
 9.5
review (1) 6 comments vote for this album:
1916 Reviewed by: zannibal, on january 18, 2012

Sound: I'm not a big Motorhead fan and I think this wasn't the best CD to get started with. As far as I know, Motorhead is known from repeating same ideas over and over, but for me this is all new. So let's take songs one by one: 01. "One To Sing The Blues": Starts with drums... reminds me of "Rust In Peace... Polaris". Whole song is pretty much repeating same riff. Solos are cool anyway. Pretty "ok" song, not bad but nothing special. 02. "I'm So Bad": A bit faster song. This one also has some blues sounding stuff (yes, I know that Motorhead has lots of it). Was also kind of "ok" song... 03. "No Voices In The Sky": My personal favorite. Good tempo, good verses and awesome chorus. For some reason, it's not that special, but I just love the chorus. Solo sounds cool also. 04. "Going To Brazil": Sounds like Rock N' Roll from 50's or 60's or something like that.. Nice (thank god short) song, can't really say much. 05. "Nightmare/Dreamtime": Now this is what makes me think of drugs. Really, REALLY, weird song. No drums, weird effects... I guess they said "Ace Of Spades" at some part.. 06. "Love Me Forever": Ballad. Lemmy singing. Shut down everything. Works better than I expected. I guess I've been listening to fast shredding for too long time because all these solos sound so cool. 07. "Angel City": Sounds like "Going To Brazil" with slower tempo. If "Brazil" wasn't your favorite song, this one wont be either. 08. "Make My Day": Now I start to understand why people say they repeat same ideas... another heavy song with a bit high tempo. 09. "R.A.M.O.N.E.S.": I have never listened to Ramones, so I don't know does this sound anything like the original. Punk sounding short song, just a tribute to Ramones. 10. "Shut You Down": Same as with "Make My Day". 11. "1916": This one is cool. Really cool. Organs and bass drum kicking. Lemmy's voice breaking my heart and manly tears falling like Niagara falls. Seriously - it's about first world war as you can expect from name, and it's really cool. Nothing like rest of album. I wasn't too impressed with music. I would give it 7 but good solos gives one more score. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics seems to be about everything. Love, war, life at tour and of course some Christianity disliking. Pretty much everything you can expect when listening to this kind of music. Lemmy isn't best singer I've heard... Sure it fits with this blues stylish metal. With any other music it would be terrible, but now it works. I think it doesn't really matter if his voice is "terrible" as long as it works. // 7

Overall Impression: It's kind of boring album unless you're more into this kind of music. Clearly not my favorite genre. It has it's good moments, but I just don't like their blues stylish non-melodic music. Also they should've made it shorter, there's a few songs too much. It just didn't work too well, but wasn't too bad. I think I'll still try out "Ace Of Spades". // 7

Comments