Aftershock review by Motörhead

• Released: Oct 21, 2013
Motörhead: Aftershock

Another Motorhead album and another classic. "Aftershock" is a great record from beginning to end. The instrumental work is brilliant on this album, some of the riffs will have you banging your head as soon as you hear them, such as queen of the damned. Some of them will get stuck in your head, such as "Heartbreaker," and the chorus riff in "Knife" is insanely catchy. Mickey Dee does a great job on drums, while Phil Campbell releases riff after riff over Lemmy's distinctive sounding bass. The quality of the sound is also very good, you can hear every instrument perfectly at all times.

As soon as the vocals kick in, you know you are listening to a Motorhead album! Lemmy has such a unique voice in the world of rock 'n' roll, that you recognize it almost instantly. When you are listening to a Motorhead record, you don't really pay attention to the lyrics. But if you listen close enough, some of the lyrics are impressive. Such as "Queen of the Damned": "The one that you fear is so close/The woman tattooed with the rose/Claws that are sharp/ she'll tear you apart/Make you into food for the crows/Revenge is her aim/she'll make you pay/She talks a mean game and she'll blow you away/Get out of town as soon as you can/You don't want to face the Queen Of The Damned." The lyrics for the chorus in "Going to Mexico" are also impressive and bad a-s, just as you would expect from Motorhead: "Give us the time and we’ll do the crime / only one place to go. / South of the border, crossing the line / going to Mexico!"

Overall, like I said at the beginning, this is a great record. This is their best record in a while. Their last 3 albums ("The World Is Yours," "Motorizer," "Kiss of Death") were all good records but I found myself skipping songs. With this album, I don't feel the need to. It never gets boring or repetitive at any point. I can listen to it all the way through without skipping any tracks. When the album slows down, it picks back up instantly with the next track, and when it's over, I find myself listening from the start again. The most impressive songs for me on this album are "Heartbreaker," "Coup De Grace," "End of Time" and "Queen of the Damned." I Love the drumming work, the sheer intensity of this record, the insanely catchy guitar riffs. If it was stolen/lost, I would definitely buy it again, and just hope the robber has a certain aftershock coming to him for stealing the record.