Kiss Of Death review by Motörhead

• Released: Aug 29, 2006
Motörhead: Kiss Of Death

Since 1975 Motorhead has been kicking ass and taking names with classic metal album's such as Ace Of Spades, Overkill and Bomber. Here we are 30+ years later and they're still kicking. Lemmy Kilmister is the only founding member in the band due to multiple line-up changes over the years. Mikkey Dee plays a great set of drums and Philip Campbell is back on guitar again. Motorhead is one of those metal bands that everytime they release a new album, you know what to expect. That is the buzzsaw guitars, machine gun drums and the throaty growl of rapid bass player Lemmy. For Motorhead to consistently release albums every couple years and tour extensively in support of them is astounding. Especially if you consider the hard-edge lifestyle they've lived. This is a pretty good production. Cameron Webb added a nice touch to the album. Although in some cases sounds over-produced.

Like AC/DC, Motorhead really doesn't write thought provoking lyrics. Motorhead does a brilliant job of drop kicking a dirt ball of sex, sleaze and angst straight to the face. A standout track would be "God Was Never On Your Side". Lemmy lashes out against religion on this rocking track which shows his disgust with society and how religion drives the motives of everyone. Outside of that track, we get a few sleazy sex numbers such as "One Night Stand", "Sucker" and "Christine" which are all delivered in Motorhead fashion. Lemmy's growl is as prevalent as it ever was. Doesn't seem to be missing a beat these days.

Motorhead isn't out to make a new fanbase. That has been established and any new recording they throw out is simply to feed their base audience. If you are a fan of them you most likely own this album or plan on buying it eventually. Unlike their last 2004 album Inferno, Kiss of Death does seem to have the screws bolted down. There are a couple tracks however that sound similar to the typical metal sound of today: "Sword Of Glory" and "Living In The Past". Compared to classic Motorhead, only a couple tracks on this album will find their place in future Motorhead tour setlists. In comparison to their young metal contemporaries, Motorhead still manages to play sub-par tracks convincingly.

Puncker
    Sittin' and listening to it right at this moment, and I must say it's a damn good album.
    I am the Drake
    I was very impressed with this album. I have to say that I really like the song "God Was Never On Your Side". Being a Christian I don't agree with it but I am open minded enough to allow myself to listen to it. So it's all good. I think that my favorite song off of the album is "Christine" though. I also find "Kingdom Of The Worm" to be kind of addicting.
    Korzack
    Finally, back on the music instead of who's the bigger noob. Oh yes, I agree - the album definately doesn't mess about. Also, to be fair, Motorhead have done better - However, it's still better than a lot of the younger acts.
    Highwaytohell
    This album... F***** RUlES!!! Lemmy's vocals are as heavy and raspy as ever and phill is pounding out riffs like fistfuls of fire!!! This album is definitly one of the best motorhead albums to date, and quite possibly the best album of 2006...
    calumhm
    ah, i BELIEVE 13 tracks was on the promo album or something, which has R.A.M.O.N.E.S as an extra track. And as for you guys bitchin' at each other, yeah in the review it does seem to say that motorhead lyrics are just there to be metal, whereas Lemmy incorporates a lot of his opinions and views into some of his songs. but you guys need to stop swearin at each other just because its the internet, and seriously people, stop saying 'Noob'. AND as for the album, first impression wasn't brilliant, but grew on me and now is one of my most listened to. God Was Never on Your Side is a brillant track in particular, loved that one on first hearing.
    JackWhite1988
    bennya wrote: i never said lemmy wasn't a dirty minded bastard at times, but listen to songs like "death or glory", "orgasmatron", or "take the blame". you will see that he has a far wider range of topics to draw his lyrics from than the boys in ac/dc. and if i upset u, i apologise. although most retards would just be happy that someone talks to them. ****in' ingrate.
    Let's shake on it...
    bennya
    Stop Messin'
    JackWhite1988 wrote: Stop Messin' wrote: You bash AC/DC and Motorheads writing, yet your name is JackWhite. Nice job *****. I'M NOT BASHING NOBODY...I'm bashing the guy who has no posts, comes on here and tells me I suck at writing reviews. I LOVE AC/DC and MOTORHEAD but i'm not going to suck their dick when it comes to a review because "STELLAR REVIEWS" are not always realistic and very rarely are they warranted. I didn't feel this was their best work, therefore it gets an 8/10. The score I gave it is actually above average and pretty damn good. I own the album and have listened to it 10 times. Motorhead is a great metal band who pioneered, yes I said PIONEERED Speed Metal. It would be hard for anyone who takes music seriously to give them any kind of bad review, which this isn't. As for your comment on my username, shows how open-minded you are to bash something that you don't understand. Get lost and stop wasting my ****in time.
    I'm VERY closed minded. I like classic rock, classic metal and blues, that's it. Everything else is a pile of shit.
    Stop Messin'
    JackWhite1988 wrote: bennya wrote: i take it you don't listen to much motorhead. lemmy is one of the most articulate and intelligent lyricists in rock n roll. either learn how to write a review properly or go and listen to some kylie minogue. I mean in a general sense of his writing, it's nothing impressive unless you include the grammy nominated 1916 which was one of the only great lyrical albums of his. "Squeeze my Lizard..." is a metal version of what AC/DC would write. As for your comment on my review...**** off you noob.
    pat1990
    this ****ing album is the best motorhead album to date and y the **** are u faggots leaving comment before u hear the album **** off !
    powerslave756
    ive never really taken that much interest in motorhead but after i heard this album its got me hooked. This album is awesum
    bennya
    Cobalt Blue
    I'm pissed I can't find this album anywhere.. stores around here only have inferno... I really hope it's not another year and a half before Kiss of death finds it's way to me.