Carnival Of Sins [DVD] Review

artist: Mötley Crüe date: 12/09/2009 category: compact discs
Mötley Crüe: Carnival Of Sins [DVD]
Release Date: October 25, 2005
Shot live on location at the Van Andel Arena in Grad Rapids, Michigan April 27th, 2005; Motley Crue's "Carnival Of Sins" is the live concert DVD of their sold out Red, White & Cre world wide tour.
 Content: 8
 Production Quality: 7.3
 8.1
 7.9
 2,353
reviews (3) user comments vote for this album:
Carnival Of Sins [DVD] Reviewed by: UG Team, on december 23, 2005

Sound: It's been the reunion tour of the year -- Motley Crue in their original cast back on stage with 50-date Red, White & Crue U.S. tour (I'm not even talking about European part of it). So, you know what to expect after that -- live DVD with lotsa nice features! So, here it is -- "Carnival Of Sins" DVD by Motley Crue, live concert, shot in Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids, Michigan on April 2005. This isn't just a rock concert that we used to see nowdays - three guys in front of microphones and one in a dark corner behind a drumset. "Carnival Of Sins" is a full event with sexy dancers, aerialists, evil clowns with huge faces, pyrotechnic, even a midget! Motley Crue's got wild again -- playing a rock show in a circus arena. The concert includes everything you might want to hear -- all the greatest hits as well as fresh tunes from the new album. It's amazing how people, having not even talked to each other for 6 years can produce so solid and wonderful play. The sound quality is awesome -- 5.1 surround sound mixed by legendary producers Bob Rock and Mike Gillies. With a good stereo system you've got a feeling you've just been to a concert. // 8

Overall Impression: Expecting the band to show some of their highly professional skills, you'd probably be disappointed -- "Carnival Of Sins" is more of a circus show, than a vanity fair of musical skills. Tommy Lee's drum solo is half a minute of him actually playing drums and the rest of the time flying in between two sets of pans. Nikki Sixx solo is a bit embarrassing -- it's more like "look at this girl with sparkles between her legs" show, than something you can call a musical solo. If you were wondering if the band that was one of the biggest in the '80s could still rock and make the tickets to the show worth paying for, "Carnival Of Sins" is a good answer. Sure they're not that young and not in that good shape (it's most obvious when you see Mick Mars' interview in from of the camera -- you realize why he's wearing hat all the time -- he looks like a ghost without it) as they were last time together. But, hey, still there's no other rock-n-roll band better! // 8

Carnival Of Sins [DVD] Reviewed by: wilty00, on february 13, 2006

Sound: Critics take a seat, Motley Crue is back. Mixed in 5.1 Surround sound by legend Bob Rock (also the man who redifined the sounds of such bands as Metallica, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, and Skid Row) and Mike Gillies, this DVD is one for the ages. After a six year hiatus, the band returns in full force with a full cast with Nikki, Vince, Tommy, and Mick all making their return to the throne of rock n' roll. This "Carnival Of Sins" was shot live in the bowels of Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids, Michigan in April of 2005 still in the early stages of this worldwide tour (which has now been extended into April 2006 due to insane success). This isn't your normal rock concert. Packed with midgets, exotic dancers, naked women, motorcycles, elevated drum sets, fireworks, spitting blood, drunk out-of-their mind fans, and fire, this DVD is a full out event let alone a concert. It has something for every generation of the Motley Crue fan including a great combination of old mega-hits like Girls Girls Girls, Dr. Feelgood, and Kick start My Heart, more recent hits off of the 2 disc compilation (Red White & Crue) like Sick Love Song and If I Die Tomorrow, and less known gems like On With the Show and Louder than Hell. Combined with the expertise from Bob Rock and company, Carnival of Sins will more than likely make you feel like you just returned from a Crue concert. Without being drenched in fake blood, of course. // 9

Overall Impression: Nikki's keyboard solo I suppose is an acquired taste. It really takes a backseat to the woman shooting sparks out of her behind. Tommy's solo is about 5 minutes of actual drums, he then proceeds to fly up to two suspended drum sets and messes around on there for about 6-8 minutes. This DVD sets a new standard for the "rock concert." It will be a long time before you can find a live concert as visually outstanding as this one, which is why I recommend you head out and pick it up right away. Most people thought that these four guys would never make it through this tour without tearing their heads off or quitting the tour? most people were wrong. Possibly one of the last tours with the full cast due to Mick's deteriorating health, you aren't going to want to miss out on this show. One of the most outstanding and successful tours of the year, Carnival Of Sins will drop your jaw in a way you never thought possible. Whether you're a fan of the band's music or not, this is not something you want to miss. // 9

Carnival Of Sins [DVD] Reviewed by: AcEL7, on december 09, 2009

Sound: Motley Crue...Carnival of Sins...the fathers of 80's glam metal...a truely sinful experience to see them live. "Carnival of Sins" was the first live DVD I seen by Motley Crue. The band sounded really good and the music was really good as well. Some bands like to stay "true" to the studio sound when playing live and I think that limits how much you can change the song up, with Motley Crue, they choose to sound different live which really brings out how much a song can be changed. For "Carnival of Sins", the band really wanted to do a carnival/sinful experience for the fans and they got what they came for. // 9

Overall Impression: I can't judge how this DVD compares to other artists' because this is the only live DVD I've ever seen so I'll leave that for you to decide. To me, the most impressive thing on this DVD would have to be the pyro work and the fact that it's not the same sound as the album version of the songs. I love everything about this DVD and there is nothing to hate. I would suggest getting this for someone who is a true "Crue" head. // 8

Comments