Carnival Of Sins: Live review by Mötley Crüe

• Released: Oct 23, 2007
Mötley Crüe: Carnival Of Sins: Live

Whether or not you think that the guys in Motley Crue are past their prime, the rock icons still know how to put on a crowd-pleasing show. Of course, the latest live CD release Carnival Of Sins might not capture the true spirit of the Crue, if only for the fact that it remains the same censored version released a few years back. Carnival Of Sins originally hit the shelves in 2006 exclusively through Wal-Mart (which was odd enough back then), and the newest 2-disk release is apparently for those who didn't get a chance to pick it up yet. While the concert is a memorable one, it's hard to ignore the complaints from those who saw the original Grand Rapids, Michigan, show that say the CD is too clean and doesn't really add anything new to the Wal-Mart version. If you haven't heard Carnival Of Sins before, you won't be disappointed with the 23 classic tracks on the playlist. The band sounds amazingly true to the sound of the original recordings, and it's shocking how well Vince Neil's voice maintains it's power throughout the stage show. The highlight comes during Home Sweet Home, in which you get a little of the band's personality thrown in with the music. You hear the beginning piano line, followed by Vince saying, Are you ready, Tommy? -- and the crowd goes absolutely berserk. That instance alone just brings back a world of memories for anyone who lived during the Crue's heyday. The mixing is solid considering that it's a live show, with Mick Mars' solos coming out clear and just as intense as ever (Kickstart My Heart is a standout). This particular show was recorded during the Crue's reunion tour, and it is just a cool experience to hear the band relive some of it's best moments musically. A DVD of the entire concert was also released a year ago under the same Carnival Of Sins heading, and that would probably be the best purchase if you want to get the full effect. Between Neil's interaction with the crowd and the intensity behind Tommy Lee's drum skills, the visuals just take everything a little further than the 2-disk set. There are hardly any dull moments during the show, but Glitter does slow the momentum down a bit. The keyboard-heavy ballad doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the show, even when placed right beside another ballad like Without You. Besides that one down spot, the music on Carnival Of Sins is a worthwhile purchase -- if you don't already own it, that is.

Most of the songs on Carnivals Of Sins contain lyrics that are probably already embedded into your brain if you grew up with albums like Girls, Girls, Girls or Theatre Of Pain. The lyrics range from being extremely sleazy to expressing pure-hearted love, and all of it makes for a trip down memory lane. The newer songs (relatively speaking) Sick Love Song and If I Die Tomorrow from the Red, White, And Crue album may be a little bit more contrived, but there are so many classic tracks on the 2 CDs that the lyrics don't really need to be put under the microscope.

It would be safe to assume that the new release is for the fans that didn't get an opportunity to pick up Carnival Of Sins at Wal-Mart a year back. The problem lies in the fact that live concert CDs usually are for the diehard fans, and those people probably own both the Wal-Mart version as well as the DVD that was released around the same time. While the show is incredible and does prove that Motley Crue's ability to put on a killer show has not waned over time, it would have been great to have something a little new added to the mix.

Rockstar112
    I bought the DVD and it's awesome. Motley Crue is a great band. They may lack musical diversity but they are all really amazing musiscians. I feel Mick is a vastly underrated guitarist and should really be commended more. His solos were great on COS.
    jacobgear
    I just wanted to say that an opinion is an opinion... im a just a young gun but still i grew up with the crue... they have helped me through many hard times with girls, drug addiction, and just life its self... the fact the motley is still around selling out areana is a testament to the music they make the good fun rock n roll they stand for.. i saw them twice on the carnival of sins tour and i must say it was as amazing and very show to attend... i also own the DVD and in all honesty the DVD does not capture the excitement of the live show... but it does capture a a pretty good concert by an over the hill band who still captures the excitement and energy and outdoes alot of a bands half their age... and as for the people who say motley is just another cookie cutter cheezy hair metal band all i have to say is that motley was original.... they helped shape the music that became hair metal.. nobody was more rock n roll than motley and through the excess of girls, money, fame and drugs they still managed to write great music and perform it with an excitement and intensity that is lacking i the rock world today
    Matty_V
    Yeah Sorry 2 Burst ur Bubble, But They Were One of The First Hair Metal bands
    So that makes them good?
    Hellvitica
    Didnt This DVD Come out A Few Years Ago? I Would Know. I Have It. But Still It Should Be Good For People Who Wanna Hear The Crue 4 The First Time. But You Would be Missing Out On TommyCam. lol
    red157. I saw this concert on TV and it was bad songs performed with various gimmicks and effects to make up for the lack of musical interest.
    Yeah Sorry 2 Burst ur Bubble, But They Were One of The First Hair Metal bands.
    red157
    Patrick244
    Fuck Motley Crue. Metallica and Pantera forever baby. And don't ****ing bother responding to this cause I won't come back and read it. METAL UP YOUR ASSES!
    JC13
    jimmywc wrote: motley crue = gods btw....tommy cam on the dvd is pretty cool, but surely all those women getting their baps out were paid to do so by the band! You rarely see that happening at UK gigs anyway...even when I saw the crue playing hammersmith in june there was only 1 bird who got her tits out.... they are still cool tho
    I saw them in december 06... Wasn't a taped show, and there were still tonnes of women doing that, even when the Tommy cam wasn't on, haha.
    jahyarain
    i haven't listened 2 the Crue in probably twenty years but all the whiney kids need 2 realize your favorite band probably grew up on the Crue. they were a different sound when the first record dropped.
    ThunderKiss65
    People think that the Crue are just another hair metal band, fair enough like. But realise that they were one of the few hair metal bands that made a massive name for themselves compared to the hundreds of other hair metal bands that didn't. Kinda like the screamo scene today, except no-ones really made a massive name for themselves in that scene. I think I'm guna buy this DVD. My bro saw them play Cardiff and apparantly the show was amazing.
    Epic_Name
    They were a hairmetal band, and like most hairmetal bands they were... Well not to good. But I like some of their songs. If you wan't hairmetal sounding metal then check out Skid Row the first album. The second one is more metal-ish.
    Flesh N' Blood
    Hahahaha they don't make em over there like they do here man!
    yo yo
    did anyone realise tht motley crue was spelt wrong in the picture? it said "motley crye"
    Korzack
    Just listened to the album on the band's myspace (got the whole thing on sale per track - naturally)... Whoever did the production must've loved Tommy Lee, because the only thing you can bleedin Hear is the drums. Sixx's bass is non-existant, and Mars' guitar is a bit quiet, and Niel's been turned down, though not as much.
    jimmywc
    C&C Magik
    red157 wrote: Maybe it's because I wasn't even alive or was a very young child when they were initially around (Though I doubt it), but MC are one of the worst of the hair metal bands. I saw this concert on TV and it was bad songs performed with various gimmicks and effects to make up for the lack of musical interest.
    QFT I can't get into these guys, at all. It seems to be missing any musical substance, just playing generic hair metal song after generic hair metal song. They need to change it up every now and then and explore other regions.
    michal.187
    Motley crue should start working on a new album, RAther than releasing a live cd, that most crue fans have seen and heard on the Carnival of sins dvd + they don't see the tommy cam.
    Korzack
    I'd say I'll get the DVD first. I remember they released this last year pretty much all over britain, so unless Wal-mart owns more companies than I wanna even think about, that's a bit of a fib. Still, the sound was all right, & it was just enjoyable to watch & listen to, which tbh is what music should be about, I reckon.