Decade Of Decadence '81-'91 review by Mötley Crüe

• Released: Oct 1, 1991
Mötley Crüe: Decade Of Decadence '81-'91

Ah, Motley Crue. The first major Sunset Strip "hair band," who were tougher and meaner than a lot of their contemporaries and let's face it, a lot more chaotic than even most of the "true" metal bands starting up around that time. Believe it or not, once upon a time, Motley Crue were one of the biggest bands around and they celebrated by releasing this compilation disc, "Decade of Decadence." Please note I did not say the phrase "greatest hits" anywhere within that sentence. That's because this album contains only six previously released tracks, with remixed versions and new tracks and even a new live recorded track taking up the rest of the disc.

It's Motley Crue, three out of four band members only ever got into the professional musician business for the sex and the drugs and the majority of the lyrics to the featured songs on this album reflect that. It's not really a bad thing. Heck, Nikki Sixx wrote "Kickstart My Heart" after he overdosed on heroin and was revived with a defibrillator! As for the two ballads, new song "Angela" and "Home Sweet Home," they are quite nice as well. Vince Neil has a really high voice, kind of like Axl Rose-style, but somewhat more masculine. Mick Mars is an awesome, criminally underrated guitarist, Tommy Lee is a great drummer and if you can hear Nikki Sixx's bass lines, you'll find he is also very good.

I would have to say this is my favorite album by Motley Crue. Yes, I know I might get called a poser by some people for saying a compilation album is my favorite album by any band, but you have to understand "Decade of Decadence" is one of the most solid, all-killer-no-filler compilation CDs you'll ever find.

danieldeanmontgomery
    Decade of Decadence and Dr. Feelgood were the first 2 CDs I ever bought many years ago at a record store called Ragin' Records!