Dr. Feelgood review by Mötley Crüe

• Released: Jan 1, 1989
Mötley Crüe: Dr. Feelgood

I've never really been a big fan of metal. However, Motley Crue seems to come somewhere in between what I'd class as metal and Guns N' Roses, i. e. glam rock/hair metal. I love it. Well at least I love the singles. The singles on this album, "Dr. Feelgood," "Kickstart My Heart," "Without You" and "Same Old Situation" absolutely rock. There are a few other good songs as well. I don't like how they put the original versions of a few songs on, like "Dr. Feelgood," "Kickstart my Heart" and "Without You" as most of these versions were terrible. The guitars are fantastic pretty much throughout, and I love the drum work and the bass lines of Nikki Sixx. However, some of the songs just do not appeal to me.

There is one thing about this area of the album: though I like Vince Neil's voice at times, he is in no way talented in my opinion. Sure he can screech, but Axl Rose was 100x better than him. That being said, I don't think some of the lyrics in meaning are all the great, but Neil does sing them well enough to go with the song. If I could give this a 3.5, I would.

This album is pretty distinctive. They are a lot better than any of the other hair metal bands, and this was their greatest effort. As mentioned before, "Dr. Feelgood," "Kickstart My Heart," "Without You" and "Same Old Situation" light it up on the album. Definately a must have if you love great guitar work, but heavier than classic rock.