Saints Of Los Angeles review by Mötley Crüe

• Released: Jun 24, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Mötley Crüe: Saints Of Los Angeles

To me Motley Crue has changed their sound when it comes to this album, Saint of Los Angeles. Their sound falls so hard into the mainstream rock that the only recognizable portion of Motley are Vince Neil's cat growls within the songs. Since Nikki Sixx is pretty much the leader of everything Motley does as far as music, his musical tastes have not rubbed off on the group but have more likely taken control over everything that is heard from them. Music styles are similar to New Tattoo than any other album before it. Some of the songs can fall into different categories of music genres. "Down at the Whiskey" and "The Animal in Me" are songs that sound close to country/rock like Bon Jovi did these recent years. "Welcome to the Machine" sounds like a rip off from the once great Velvet Revolver. "What's it gonna take" sounds like Motley played Guitar Hero II too many times because it sounds exactly like the alternative rock band, The Toadies' "Possum Kingdom." The there are some really cool songs from the album which include: "Face down in the dirt" "Saints of Los Angles" "MF of the year" "Just another Psycho" and "Goin' out Swingin'." If you're not a fan of the wah wah pedal, then do not listen to this album, it gets over used.

Since the lyrics were mostly written by Nikki Sixx, the leader, you can expect some amounts of emotion to be placed into each song like his other band, Sixx A.M., right? Wrong. This isn't a ballad album. None of the lyrics fall into the classic 'power ballad' category. Most of the lyrics on this album fit with each song. The songs seem to follow the concept of Motley's career span. Their story of getting started as a band, performing at local clubs, becoming the bad boys of the Sunset Strip, finally getting a record deal and becoming the poster boys of "Hair" metal, the wild times in between, and finally saying that they aren't going to die along with all the other '80s pop metal bands. Vince Neil, lead singer, sounds like he dropped most of his high notes that he has been known to do from hearing early Motley albums and his solo album. His classic cat growl is still present in a good number of the songs and never gets over used to the point of saying, "shut up". Thankfully his voice has never gone south on a studio recording.

From hearing earlier Motley Crue albums, nothing will compare with Girls, Girls, Girls. It maybe that they do not have the ambiance around them that they did back when they were the kings of popular metal but it seems that this is not even a step above their last album eight years ago. Hands down, the two most impressive songs are "Goin' out Swingin'" and "Just another Psycho". Both songs aren't lyricly the greatest in the world or have the best guitar techniques but they fit well. The guitar solos are nothing compared to modern players but still have enough forms of emotion for kids who just picked up the guitar. The thing I like most about this album was that it came with a DVD as a bonus, even though I had seen everthing on the DVD already. If this CD were cracked from the inner hole to a quarter of an inch out, I would not buy another one and just listen to the songs that were not messed up.

StratPat
    Picked it up on the weekend, its a good album actually, at first listen I was a bit.. Meh, but it's a good album, and it's the Crue, no bullshit.
    ss311
    YourVillain wrote: alas, this is but a minor qualm. Sorry UG Team, had to pick you up on this seeing as the rest of your review was so painstakingly eloquent. This was the second time you said "minor qualm". "Alas" would indicate something worse should follow, eg. "alas, this does not stand up to previous songs", rather than a optimistic statement, and while it's refreshing to see people use words like "fatuously" on UG, isn't it a bit pretentious to phrase your sentence "this is but a minor qualm"?
    You are of course correct in a sense. However, as a reviewer I'm quite the nit-picker. My friends and I are aware of this, and we find it quite ironic/hysterical when I use 'alas' before a sentence of positive connotations! It's an intentional mistake so to speak; the point is to be disappointed that there is nothing to criticise. I suppose I shouldn't use insider jokes online. Yours, Sam
    YourVillain
    alas, this is but a minor qualm.
    sparky721
    This Album kicks ass. I've been a fan of the crue since '85 and I think Nikki's song writing is amazing. Vince sounds stronger then ever on lyrics. Tommy's hittin' the drums like never before. And Mick, come on, can't say enough good things about Mick other then the fact he is the most under rated guitar player. He doesn't glam it up with fast riffs, he plays to the song and for that he makes every fricken track on this album catchy. I haven't been able to take the CD out of my car yet, screw the radio....
    slashersixx
    Albums pretty good, but theres not enough classic crue guitar riffs, too many songs are made from power chords, but im enjoying the album, better than most stuff out there.
    WhyteChocl8
    The album is great very impressive. I was worried a Generation Swine may have occured but no its good Crue. This proboly would be the follow up to the Dr.Fellgood album they did in '94 with John Corabi(love that record Crab kicks ass) if they had Vince on it. Even if ya dont dig it they still put on a killer show and will kick ass.
    Tubyboulin
    Pretty good album. i was never a huge fan of some of Cres older stuff aside from Wild Side, Shout, Kickstart, and those kinda things but this is really good. Better than Sick Love Song, anyways :p:
    Bodom87
    Can't wait to get this! Mick is a very underrated guitar player
    I totally agree. Mick can f'n shred
    Vrstone87
    migandy100 wrote: "the quad of Vince, Neil, Nicky and Tommy still has something to offer the music business." what the ****
    I was just about to say that
    migandy100
    Zeldaik
    Check out my Saints of Los Angeles guitar pro tab if you're interested.
    Poison Dave
    some of the songs are alright. not a very good crue record overall.. they're just marionettes by this point["lawl" at ghostly mick mars looking like he has to be held up unintended, but kind of funny], considering the guys from sixx a.m. wrote the majority of this album[which is pretty transparent]. usually i dont really care if a band uses a songwriter; however, the heroin diaries sucked out loud. DJ Ashba and James Michael couldn't write their way out of a wet paper bag...whatever that means.
    DarkBlueIce
    Great album...this one stands out among the post dr. feelgood era. its awesome to have motley bak in its original form...and great way to kick off cruefest.
    TooFast
    KingOfBass69 wrote: I'm sorry but the new record sucks I really wanted to like it i did but... it sucks the only good song is Saints of Los Angeles and sure I am going to get flamed but I dont care really it has to be said this album is Crue in spirit but it's just a bunch of 50 year old men wishing they were 21 again dont get me wrong I love Motley Crue I grew up with Nikki Vince Mick and Tommy but this record sounds like 50 year old men wishing they were 21 plus it's what you get when you mess with the age old formula of just Nikki writing the songs, On this record everyone contributed; oh well I have backstage passes to Crue Fest so I hope that turns out awesome Long live the Crue
    Mick is the only one who's 50+ Good album.
    adfrocker13
    The_Seventh_Sin wrote: I'm not a fan of Glam but I can't help but enjoy these guys. I love the new album
    The Crue aint glam there hair, and hard rock
    I am the Drake
    I've always been a Motley Crue fan but god I hate this album. Some of the songs are ok but I was very disappointed. Simply awful.
    KingOfBass69
    brentondig
    Wow. You know, the last time I read something about the Crue was when Tommy Lee left. I had no idea he came back, but now I know he's back, this is looking pretty good! I'd love to see them again.
    3dd_bggst_fan
    i havent listened to much of the album, but i love the cover track. saints of los angeles was a great video
    ss311
    JHart wrote: Impression: Vince, Neil, Nicky and Tommy have come a long way since their early days. It's Vince, Mick, Nikki and Tommy. Not Vince, Neil, Nicky and Tommy.
    Nice catch! Sorry about that.
    alkalineweeman
    Really dont like this album, tried my best, wanted to love it but its just so boring. I'm hoping it will grow on me cos they are one of my favourite bands... we shall see.
    JHart
    It's Vince, Mick, Nikki and Tommy. Not Vince, Neil, Nicky and Tommy.
    gyzer_8970
    I loove Motley Crue, but isn't the title track kinda mediocre? Like, average crue? are the other songs like that?