Hard Again Review

artist: Muddy Waters date: 03/30/2007 category: compact discs
Muddy Waters: Hard Again
Release Date: May 1977
Label: Blue Sky
Genres: Slide Guitar Blues, Chicago Blues, Electric Chicago Blues, Electric Blues, Delta Blues
After a string of mediocre albums throughout most of the '70s, Muddy Waters hooked up with Johnny Winter for '77s Hard Again, a startling comeback and a gritty demonstration of the master's powers.
 9.9
 9.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Hard Again Reviewed by: tomisamonkeyman, on march 30, 2007

Sound: Hard Again is considered Muddy Waters comeback album. Muddy Waters was a famous blues artist in the '40s and '50s. In 1977 Johnny Winter wanted some well produced, clean crisp sounding Muddy Water classics. So Muddy and Johnny got together to record classic blues songs. The first song on the album is Mannish Boy. Mannish Boy is probably one of the most famous Muddy songs. it's a great song and a great way to start the album off. Then comes Bus Driver. This is the longest song off the album. it's about 7 minutes and 45 seconds long. Great blues jam in this song. The next track is I Want To Be Loved. This is more considered rock n roll then blues. Muddy sings great. Also the harp just rings in this song. After that one come Jealous Hearted Man. This is my personal favorite track on the album. Great guitar, harp, singing, and piano. Very catchy tune as well. I can't Be Satisfied is the next song. There is a great slide guitar in this song. Great song. After that is The Blues Had A Baby and They Named it Rock N Roll. Aint it the truth? This song rocks. I enjoy it every time. Deep Down in Florida comes after that. Another great song that I always enjoy listening to. it's more slowed down and calm. Then comes Crosseyed Cat. The harp is fantastic in this song. I love this song to. Then the last song on the album is Little Girl. Muddy sings great and the bands rocks on this one. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are simple but great. Mannish Boy probably has the greatest lyrics. "When I was a young boy at the age of 5, my momma told me, I'd be the greatest man alive". Also the singing is what's makes everything comes alive. With Muddy's reconizable deep soulful voice and Johnny Winters dirty rough screaming makes this album just as good. // 9

Overall Impression: This is one of the best blues albums ever. It's very simple blues as well. The guitars on the album rock. The harp really sticks out and the singing is very good. This is really simple, soulful, and real blues. Most people don't give blues a chance but if you get this album you are bound to enjoy at least a song off it. I love every song off it. // 10

Comments