Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge review by Mudhoney

• Released: Jul 23, 1991
Mudhoney: Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge

Second full-lenght album of them, released in 1991, this album contains the basic elements of Mudhoney's music: the heavily distorted and fuzzy guitar sound and the raw tone of the instruments overall, mixing stuff like garage rock, punk and the classical heaviness reminiscent of bands like Black Sabbath and Blue Cheer. The production and the mixing are more "clean" on this one than in their previous stuff, like the iconic "Superfuzz Bigmuff" or the self-titled album, which doesn't compromise the whole dirtiness of the band's compositions in any way and keeps their identity intact. Although this was the album that gave Mudhoney a whole new projection when it comes to audience (probably helped by the 1991's boom of the Seattle underground scene), it was still released on Sub Pop by their own choice, and they would only debut on a major label with their next album, "Piece Of Cake", released on Reprise Records.

When it comes to lyrics, the album also hits hard, approaching many kinds of messed up things like confusion, death, mistakes someone can make in his life and scumbag people. Looking over, basically the good old crap that most people have to deal with in their lives, but it's like Mark Arm goes really deep into those issues and beat the living hell out of them. Which brings me to his voice: his vocal style can be defined as "purposely demented", if you ask me. It's really raspy and strong and he doesn't care about screaming his throat off, giving his songs even more power and aggressivity.

Iconic album for the "grunge" movement and a must-have for any fan of the genre. Another faithful register of their identity and power created basically through anything that is heavy and loud in music. I would point "Move Out", "Into The Drink" and "Let It Slide" as the best songs here, but honestly, that's just a matter of opinion and I could easily highlight any song from here. It's not like I hate this "mistake" (I can't hate anything about this album), but I think it would sound even more sick with the completely f**ked up production work of their previous releases, but that's something I don't even mind while listening to it, actually. I'd certainly buy it again if it were stolen/lost.

swave75
    I have long forgotten about Mudhoney. Great review. Made me interested in pursuing this.