Superfuzz Bigmuff plus Early Singles review by Mudhoney

• Released: Jan 1, 1990
Mudhoney: Superfuzz Bigmuff plus Early Singles

This album has a very "grungy" sound, which is obviously what they were going for. Mudhoney was a huge influence on Nirvana's music, and it shows. Both have similar styles, though Nirvana is more depressing. Superfuzz Bigmuff has a great sound, simple guitar, and everything meshes well together. The intros to the songs, however, are a bit cheesy and don't establish much of what the rest of the song is like. From my point of view, the intros seem pointless. Without those, the songs wouldn't be quite as wishy-washy.

The biggest problem I am having with this album is the frequency af overused lyric ideas and very strained metaphors. The lyrics could have been thought out a little bit more. "Touch Me, I'm Sick" however, is fine with simple lyrics. The singer tends to have a bit of a nasally voice at times, and when he tries to sing melodic parts like in "If I Think". It just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the music. If his voice wasn't as nasally, and the lyrics had a bit more fluency in them, this great band could be even more fantastic than they already are. Other than those problems, he's great.

The album's great, definitely worth purchasing, and a must-have for any grunge collection. I would say my overall impression is that this album wasn't intended to be a grunge classic, but this CD really caught the essence of what grunge is. If I lost this CD, I would absolutely buy it again, and burn a backup copy in case I happen to lose it a second time. Personally, the best songs would have to be Touch Me I'm Sick, Chain That Door, Sweet Young Thing (Ain't Sweet No More), In 'N Out Of Grace, You Got It (Keep It Out Of My Face).