Superfuzz Bigmuff plus Early Singles review by Mudhoney

• Released: Jan 1, 1990
Mudhoney: Superfuzz Bigmuff plus Early Singles

The sound on this album truly represents what actual 'Grunge music' is. It sounds like the Sonic Youth mixed with The Stooges, if you will. It's very very noisy, it has a lot of feedback, use of wah on Steve Turners highly underrated guitar playing. It was a sound that bands like Nirvana really took. The drums are eccentric and very well composed, the bass sounds like Matt Lukin is punching a hallow log (I don't remember who originally said that, but, it's true). If your a fan of grunge, this is a must-have.

I read the reviews before this, and I personally like the lyrics. Most of them have a lot of meaning, every freaking bit as much meaning as Kurt Cobains lyrics. Like the song "Touch Me, I'm Sick", it's just kind of a bash on the conformist types, the people that see Mark Arm and the rest of Mudhoney and think "Oh God. What freaks." Based on appearence, people thought they were creeps, or druggies or whatever. A lot of the lyrics are based off of alcohol problems and you can see love song-like lyrics on "If I Think". Mark Arm did an amazing job delivering the vocals on this, he's been compared to Iggy Pop a lot. I prefer Arm anyday, he has a nasaly voice that fit the music perfectly.

My overall impression of this would probably be: Possibly the greatest album I own. I love the noisy aspect of it, that's why I wish Jack Endino had kept producing Mudhoney albums. Some of my favorite songs on the album were: "Need", "If I Think", "Halloween" (Sonic Youth song), "Mudride", "Touch Me I'm Sick", and "Sweet Young Thing...". If it were stolen, I'd be pretty angry. But, I have it on my computer, so, I don't think I'd purchase it again despite my deep love for this album and band.

down n dirty
    "ya you got it damn right you got it **** you keep it outta my face" greatest lines ever sung
    DrFuzz
    "Like the song "Touch Me, I'm Sick" , it's just kind of a bash on the conformist types, the people that see Mark Arm and the rest of Mudhoney and think "Oh God. What freaks." Erm, sorry to break this to you, but that song is about chlamydia....