By The People, For The People Review

Mudvayne: By The People, For The People
Release Date: Nov 27, 2007
Label: Epic
Genres: Alternative Metal
Hardcore fans will enjoy the opportunity to hear some alternate songs from their favorite nu-metal band that sometimes dress up like scary aliens.
 7.3
 8.3
 6.3
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
By The People, For The People Reviewed by: 555slayer666, on january 21, 2008

Sound: I already did a review for this album, but it didn't upload, so I'm gonna half ass it this time. This is a fan generated greatest hits and then some record. Fan chosen track list, fan submitted artwork, fan created video for the 1st single. Live versions of Dig, -1, World So Cold. Demos of Death Blooms, Silenced, Not Falling, Perversion of a Truth, Skrying, Happy, Fall Into Sleep. Acoustic version of Forget to Remember. Unreleased songs (unless you have the special edition of TEOATTC) Goodbye and On the Move. Goodbye is unlike anything Mudvayne have done before, I'll say that much. On the Move features great bass and guitar riffs, solid drumming and good vocals. You also get a cover of The Police's "King of Pain". Very good cover. The highlight though is a preview of the upcoming record(s). The song is Dull Boy, and I would say it is one of their best songs. Great basslines, cool riffs, driving drums, great vocals, and a cool breakdown. Chad introduces each song (which I find to be pointless, the information could have just been put in the liner notes). Since the majority are demos, the sound quality ranges from not-too-good to album worthy. The live tracks have good quality. Dull Boy and King of Pain both have great production, and are much better than the production of Lost and Found. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics of the demos are pretty much the same as their respective albums, but differ in some parts. On the Move is about life on the road. Goodbye is about Chad's divorce. Dull Boy seems to be influenced by The Shining ("All work and no play makes me a dull boy"), but the rest of the song is kind of hard to determine (I haven't seen the movie in a while, so I couldn't tell you). King of Pain is Sting's lyrics, which are good. Deals with depression. The vocals range from Chad's 1999 raw style to his current style. // 10

Overall Impression: I love the fact that rather than just issue a standard greatest hits record, they had the fans choose the songs. You can still tell this is just to tide people over until the new record(s) though (Chad mentioned the possibly of releasing 2 this year, as at the current moment the first one is complete). As I said, the introductions could have been taken out in order to make way for the Internal Primates Forever demo or maybe a live version of the godly Nothing To Gein. I find the acoustic version of Goodbye to be better, so I would have put that version on. Also, they should have included the song Small Silhouette (which appeared on the Masters of Horror soundtrack).Don't get me wrong, this is for hardcore fans only. If you are getting into the band for the first time, I suggest getting The End of All Things to Come, LD50, and Lost and Found (in that order, unless you are open minded). If it were lost or stolen, I wouldn't buy it, because I already own all the other Mud-releases. // 8

Comments