L.D. 50 Review

artist: Mudvayne date: 10/14/2008 category: compact discs
Mudvayne: L.D. 50
Released: Aug 22, 2000
Genre: Rock
Tones: Hostile, Bleak, Angst-Ridden, Cathartic, Aggressive, Intense, Rousing, Confrontational
Styles: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.7
 9.8
 9.6
 1,056
L.D. 50 Reviewed by: F-ing Hostile, on march 12, 2007

Sound: This CD is awesome, I recently got into Mudvayne a few months ago when I heard a couple songs from this cd, it's one of the most insane cds out there. L.D. 50 has a really unique sound to it, the music is great, with a combination of power chord progression on the guitar, 5 string slap bass, technical drumming, and Chad's vocals, it's like nothing I've ever heard before, most of the songs have crazy tempo changes, it will go from slow, to really fast in like 2 seconds, and then it'll go back, you never know what you are going to hear next. I don't think that there's a real story attached to the album, I do think they put some weird messages in there to mess with people's heads. You would listen to one song, and then the next would be somebody talkng with a weird voice modulator. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are awesome, I love the lyrics on this album, some of the lyrics are really deep, and some are just a str8 up F-U. The lyrics flow with the music so well, and that's mainly becasue of Chad's vocal range, he can do almost anything, he can scream, he can sing softly, and he can yell, and he does all of them very well, the song will go from slow music and slow singing, to psychotic music and psychotic singing, and it always goes together really well. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album is definetly a 10/10, it blows their other albums out of the water, there just isn't any contest. The most impressive songs from the album are definetly, Dig, Internal Primates Forever, Death Blooms, Severed, -1, Nothing To Gein, Under my Skin, and Cradle. The thing that I love most about the album, is definetly the bass and the vocals, they're both very unique, but the only thing I hate is on soime of the songs it's like 2 minutes of like noises, and people talking, but other than that it rules. If it were stolen, I'd cry real hard, then I would just buy another. // 10

L.D. 50 Reviewed by: castoo, on october 14, 2008

Sound: Okay, this CD is one of the most unique, heavy and accessible metal albums ever made. It's a great cd. It took me a few listens over months to get into to it, but for the past few years it's still a great CD that I will listen to daily. It's a CD every metalhead must own. Every part about it is just epic. // 10

Lyrics: The singing is also great. Think of Tool meets Slipknot and then make it sound better. The lyrics go perfectly with the music, but won't be enjoyed by everyone (some of the subjects are rather harsh, and pretty much every track swears, some of which swear quite a bit). Chad goes from harsh screaming to almost a murmer and back to a roar. Really, I don't know of anything that compares (even Mudvayne's later work, which is similar lyrically just doesn't have this singing). // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the greatest albums of all time. It's original, the bass is insane and the singing is unmatched. I am not a fan of the instrumental songs (which are pretty much weird noises, with someone talking about mushrooms). 01.Monolith: a chitchat about drugs, it's not much of a song 02.Dig: this runs like ''Spit it Out'' by Slipknot, except this is much better, and much heavier 03.Internal Primates Forever: this is a crazy song, not a favorite of mine but certainly some of my friends have this as a favorite, it's very good. 04.-1: honestly, I don't listen to this song, it's one of the lighter ones, check it out if you want 05.Death Blooms: a great song about Chad's grandmother and life with a terminal disease. Great intro, great lyrics. 06.Golden Ratio: instrumental (which is pretty much noise, it's not like a guitar solo or anything) 07.Cradle: this is one of the more disturbing songs, very good, probably not the best track to start off the cd with. 08.Nothing To Gein: this song is about a serial killer, which is slightly creepy, but again, a good song. 09.Mutatis Mutandis: noise song 10.Everything And Nothing: I think this should have been a single, there's a part halfway through where he says ''pray for the end of times'' and it's GREAT. That alone is worth listening to the song 11.Severed: This song is almost a cd in itself, it's my favorite off the album. It has a decent intro, a harsh middle and the end is a great combination of screaming and singing 12.Recumbant Resurgance: noise song 13.Prod: this song has a good lyrical structure that has a harsh beat and then a melodic end. Like severed, it's almost a cd by itself. 14.Pharmaecopia: a song about drugs, the end of it is really good (as is the bass and the singing). 15.Under My Skin: this reminds me of ''Dig'' and has a lot of rapping in it. Beginning is great simply because of how in your face it sounds. 16.(k)Now F(orever): this song starts out quiet, builds up and goes back. A great end to the cd. 17.Lethal Dosage: some last minute noise on the album This cd is pretty much some of the greatest bass available with heavily distorted guitar and singing, as well as a ton of tinkering with the sound. It's worth buying, and should be enjoyed as a cd. I would buy this again anyday. // 10

L.D. 50 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 25, 2003

Sound: Heavy, melodic, fast and upbeat, great bass tones, good vocals and deep painful lyrics. // 10

Lyrics: To me the lyrics have meaning. They could be in some cases consider "violent"... but who listens to metal that doesn't like violent lyrics to help them express their anger and agression. Chad Gray (vocals) does a good job on the vocals. His screaming is consistent and is dark and shows the agression of the lyrics well. // 8

Overall Impression: Personally, I think its better then their current release (The end of all things to come). It sounds like it took more time and thought to write this album then the current release. My favorite songs on the album are... well, I like all of them. I think it's a great album and its really worth buying if you enjoy the new metal style bands. // 10

L.D. 50 Reviewed by: Joe@Disturbed16, on april 26, 2004

Sound: The sound in this album is incredible, some of the best bass and drums out there, along with pounding guitar and heavy lyrics. Ryknow, Mudvayne's bassist, plays some of the most insane stuff I've ever heard in an album, constantly popping, sliding and playing notes all over the fretboard along with drumming from one of the best drummers out there. As far as the guitar goes, it really isn't anything that special although it still sounds great especially when mixed with all other sounds from the band members and he does have his own unique sound in his riffs. And if you like bands similar to Slipknot you are bound to like the sound of Kud as he goes from great singing to full out screaming in a second flat. Overall the sound is great but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who does not appreciate heavy music. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are overall okay, although most songs could have more meaning. Kud really emphasizes his feeling through his music and often a strong sense of anger and frustration can be felt through the lyrics as well as powerful messages. From the depressing feel of -1, to the meaningful Death Blooms, overall the lyrics are pretty good. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall L.D.50 was a great album, and to me was the best of all 3 releases made by Mudvayne so far. The sound is great and the lyrics are good, this album is definitly worth buying and I would definitely recommend it to a fellow metal fan. // 10

L.D. 50 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 22, 2004

Sound: This along with Follow the Leader by Korn are in my opinion the two best albums in exsistence. Mudvayne achieved on this album a form of music that becomes art in such a beautiful way. This album has become more than just music. The vocals are amazing, live Chad's vocals seemto lack something although still awesome. But on record he has some of the most brilliant vocal lines I have ever heard. The backing vocals although more prominant live are also simply brilliant. Ryknow And Matt stand in them selves. They are the best rhythm section I have ever heard. It's creative and interesting without just been in the background but still holding the band. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are so profound just listen to the death blooms poem. You can see there is not a wasted line on this album. The lyrics compliment the music beautifully. // 10

Overall Impression: If you are contimplating buying this album go out and buy it. It is simply the best, most creative, interesting album I have ever listened to. If you are a musician it is disgusting that you don't own this album. I honestly believe every musician on earth should own this album. // 10

L.D. 50 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 15, 2005

Sound: This is without a doubt, Mudvayne's masterpiece. Every song on this album is both heavy and unique. Chad's voice is one of the best metal voices ever. His blend of screaming, creepy singing, and singing go with this album perfectly. Greg's guitar playing is very basic, easy riffs with lots of distortion, but he also adds some weird sounding riffs to make the songs sound surprisingly difficult. Ryan is one of the best bass players I've ever heard. His bass playing is very technical, fast, and difficult. Listen to the bass on "Dig" and you'll know what I'm talking about. Matt's drumming is awsome as well. Very fast with lots of rythm. Kick Ass! // 10

Lyrics: Chad's lyrics are nothing short of brillant. Under that gutwrenching heavy sound, the lyrics are ingenious. From the screaming lyrics of "Dig," to the melodic lyrics of "Cradle." Every song is awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of my favorite albums of all time. Chad, Greg, Matt, and Ryan did an awesome job with this album. I recommend this album for any rock/metal fan. If you love metal, but you want to understand what their saying, than this is the album for you. Out of 10, I would give this album a 15. // 10

Comments