Mudvayne review by Mudvayne

• Released: Dec 21, 2009
Mudvayne: Mudvayne

We're not sure why Epic is pushing the new Mudvayne out at this late stage in the year. Most rock records don't come out the week before Christmas, but whatever the case, Mudvayne's Mudvayne represents the Peoria, Illinois band at its heaviest in years. Beautiful and Strange, 1000 Mile Journey and Scream With Me are dosed with the crunchy riffs and moody guitar tones not seen since the band's 2000 debut, L.D. 50 and it's breakthrough follow-up, 2002's The End of All Things to Come. The band doesn't sacrifice its accessibility and commercially viable song structures but make no mistake; a song like Beautiful and Strange is perfect for those edgy, hard rock stations that aren't afraid to take a risk and play a band like Mudvayne. Lest we forget the band has had a modicum of success at radio over the years and that is one of their strengths. But the rough parts have not been blunted. The band's technical proficiency also remains firmly and fully in tact. The album opens with an eyebrow raising series of noises and it nabs your attention. The ensuing songs hold it. Heard it All Before is thunderous and gloomy all at once. Overall, Mudvayne is probably the most guitar-driven of all the Mudvayne platters and the band has always been pretty friggin' guitar driven. The just up the ante on this self-titled affair.

Chad Gray's vocals always have a note of vitriol to them, whether he's singing melodically or gruffly. He's got a DNA distinct set of pipes and he doesn't tackle goes-down-easy topics on the album. He talks about dying, laying down in graves and sucking on a shutgun and tasting the barrel of a gauge on Scream With Me, which could eventually become the band's anthem for disaffected youth or even the confused post-collegiates. You can just hear the crowd singing Stand in the closet and scream with me with Gray at every show that the band performs this song during. It's a dark, scary little number with an ominous nature. It's a nice balance that Gray is able to strike; his work in Hell Yeah is much less serious and looser. Here, he doesn't hold back the demons and unleashes them atop heady riffery. The combination works. Album closer Dead Inside, which starts out acoustically, is a powerful way to close an album that is anything but uplifting. Gray sings his heart out, ripping a page out of the book of the inimitable Corey Taylor of Slipknot/Stone Sour fame. What's most applaudable is Gray's lack of fear at exposing the roots of his emotions. On Mudvayne, you'll feel like you really know him.

Mudvayne represents growth for the platinum-selling band. It harkens back to their alternatingly humble and successful beginnings and delivers an emotional wallop that affects the listener more deeply than it ever has. Kudos to Mudvayne for laying the cards up on the table on such a chunky, masterfully metal album.

redwolf206
    Lol, I don't think Amy has ever heard LD50 or this album. This review is vague as usual and is packed with literary fluff. UG, This isn't Rolling Stone. I want reviews from musicians! There's not a single mention of the bass or drum work, and only a line or two about the guitars. All of Amy's reviews suck and I want to see some reviews for the musicians of this guitar site. Also, maybe I read it wrong, but there is no way I can comprehend where the statement "heaviest in years" came from, because this album is about as heavy as the Jonas Brothers. I'm not saying the album sucks, it's just not heavy... At all.
    sewoo55
    this album is a mixture of LD50 and the end of all things to come? DAMN I NEED TO BUY THIS i was a lil disappointed with lost & found and a new game...
    rEvilation
    no shit...i agree with efferus....but yea its no LD50 or even Lost and Found....its not bad...closer and heard it all before are my favorites....but umm definitely back into the heavier side...2 songs i think are pretty soft but umm the rest is good. His screamin is longer and sometimes louder, guitar is more metal, i can hear the bass again, and drums soundin a bit more like Dethklok and Arch Enemy to me
    rEvilation
    you *****s.... 1.ld50 2.the end of all things to come. 3.lost and found. 4.Mudvayne 5.kill i oughtta 6.the new game i think thats the way it should be. im an avid mudvayne fan but uhh...yea ld50 was the mudvayne...this takes a step in the right direction.but there will never be another ld50. of course someone did say people hate you if u stay the same and never change, then others hate you if you change and dont stay the same... so....nobodys ever happy. i still love mudvayne so Fuck you all.
    ashcook123
    Jcsb1993 wrote: Flints wrote: Haven't heard it yet. Hope its in drop B tuning not drop C like the softer albums. If it sounds Like L.D.50 it should be in drop B Ah, it's in Drop C. Sorry to disappoint. But it just has a little more aggression to it, kinda like LD50 had. Thats the only comparison I'd make. That and time signature/tempo changes.
    If you read the interview Greg recently did on UG, he says one song even goes to drop G... If that's not heavy and low, I don't know what is.
    Covin
    Jcsb1993
    Covin wrote: someone said lost and found was better. Which basically told me it's crap. I don't touch Mudvayne since L&F came out.
    I strongly disagree. I think it's a lot better.
    oxygenwaster201
    I got this album today for Christmas. The Album art is back light sensitive just like they said. Kinda clever, I guess. Until I opened it and discovered that all the lyrics and everything else is also black light sensitive. Kinda a dumb idea. The album itself thought sounds like every Mudvayne album before it. No two Mud albums sound the same. But when you combine them all, you get Mudvayne. This album truly deserves to be the self titled one.
    Jcsb1993
    Definitely much better than The New Game, which was mainstream as hell, but still not a bad album. But this album really brought them back quite a bit, and I would argue that it's their third best, behind LD50 and TEOATTC. It's nice that Ryan's bass really sticks out in parts, more than it has in recent albums, thats one aspect I've missed greatly, and it's also very nice to see that Greg stepped up his game on guitar. Chad's back to singin' about ****in' things up, which is always nice. And of course, Matt is great as always. Oh, and time signature and tempo changes throughout the songs, something else they haven't done much since LD50. I feel they really put an effort towards recovering their originality, and what makes them Mudvayne. I love these ****ers, and this album should fully explain why.
    Andragon
    Okay, listened now. Sounds good. "Heard It All Before" is pretty good. Vulgar Display meets Crowbar-ish.
    TheEsupremacy
    I'm listening to it right now. It's not a bad cd at all. I really dig the heavier "vibe". I recommend it.
    redwolf206
    efferus wrote: redwolf206 wrote: .... Also, maybe I read it wrong, but there is no way I can comprehend where the statement "heaviest in years" came from, because this album is about as heavy as the Jonas Brothers. I'm not saying the album sucks, it's just not heavy... At all. Buddy, if you're so great at writing reviews, why the hell isn't yours up there (or here in the comments section)? Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Even yours, where you make the laughable claim of comparing this album to the Joans Brothers. How very intelligent of you to voice that. You don't have to love the album, but why not keep your opinion reliable before crushing out someone elses (who at the very least doesn't make such ridiculous statements)? As they say, nut up or shut up.
    I was comparing the heavy-ness of the album... Geez, if you're gonna attack someone's post, at least try to comprehend what it's saying. Also, if I could write a good review, I would; but I can't (only heard a few full songs and some snippets of the rest) and that was not the point of the post. This is about the UG Team reviewer, someone who is an official critic for the site. I'm not the only one who can't stand Amy's reviews and it's brought up before, I know that for a fact. I never said I didn't like the album or that it sucked, just that it wasn't heavy (I guess I'm just spoiled from too much meshugghah and the faceless) Maybe your opinion is "unreliable" too because your smug got in the way your skills to comprehend a simple post complaining about a uninformative, vague review that makes no sense at all. Just look... a 7.7... yet the whole review is all complements and praise. How the hell am I supposed to get an idea of the quality of the album if the score is average and the review focuses on how much the album is [not] like LD50. I also like how you finished your post with "nut up or shut up" I literally don't have enough room in this post to point out how much of a twat you are. You wanna talk about my intelligence, how about trying to write a proper response instead of trying to attack and incite an argument. My point still stands, so if you want to try again, do it with a little less douche attached. K? Thanks.
    J.Rodier
    I agree with Matt, it's their best cd since The end of all things to come. It may not be thier heaviest or a LD 50 Part 2, but it's still one of the few cd i've gotten this yr where u can hear the passion
    Martindecorum
    To be honest i hear no relation to L.D 50 This album has the same dynamic flow of New Game what i mean is there is Distorted Guitar section, Clean Guitar section, Bass Section w/Clean Guitar. And that is all that sums up the whole album Compare that to Ld 50 which had heaps of unique creative flow, Blah the Albums have been getting slightly worse each time
    DreadEnds
    I 100% agree with you. This review is just someone spouting off cliches and talking complete sh*t if I'm being perfectly honest. For example: "He talks about dying, laying down in graves and sucking on a shutgun and tasting the barrel of a gauge on Scream With Me, "Hes got a DNA distinct set of pipes and he doesnt tackle goes-down-easy topics on the album. He talks about dying, laying down in graves and sucking on a shutgun and tasting the barrel of a gauge on Scream With Me, 1. Since when is "Laying down in graves" anyones topic of dicussion? Unless of course you happen to be slightly insane. 2. What are we 12? Dying, Laying down in graves and Sucking on a shotgun... Am I supposed to think that's cool? How about he tackles some real life stuff or some personal issues? 3. "which could eventually become the bands anthem for disaffected youth or even the confused post-collegiates." Cliche of all f*cking reviews or what? Every God damn band whos review is average or above have an "anthem for the disaffected youth." This reviewer appears to have read some other reviews from the past and just stole this line clean out of them. Mudvayne to me are "One Album Wonders" LD.50 was pretty good and 99% of the tracks were decent enough... all the other albums have 1 or 2 songs out of 12 - 15 that are ok and the rest are half assed "metal" at best. Thanks for reading.
    Stevie B
    I Cant Wait is the best tune on this album. Check it out and then the rest can be forgotten pretty quickly. Average album really.
    SmellKellHell
    LD50 best recording, they should go back to GGGarth who also did RATM's 1st album. But I'll be checking this one out too.
    Flints
    fartsyjoe420
    this album is not bad at all. much better than the new game. i really dig some songs alot. solid 7.5/10
    Jako215
    Better than their newer stuff. I still like think LD is the best but this is a top 3 album for Mudvayne.
    efferus
    f0x_guitarist
    Andragon wrote: I dunno I liked Alcahaulinass better
    *throws up* LD50 was great, if this sounds anything like it that'll be cool
    PhilFoxNJ
    i love how mudvayne comes out with an album every year, and they still sound good, when you think it would be rushed
    silent caution
    wasnt bad, im a big fan have all the albums but i think Dig is still the song i go to for mudvayne
    efferus
    Having given this CD a good listen over the past few weeks, I have to say it's certainly grown on me. What I love best about it is that you can hear the heart they put into this record. The music stays true to their style and doesn't try to be something it's not. It's classic Mudvayne at its best. I wouldn't say it's as heavy or innovative as their very earliest material, but it's a great step in the right direction, where as with "A New Game" it felt like they were starting to slip off their boat. This is a great cd and I recommend it any Mudvayne fan/metal enthusiast alike. Rock on fellas! \m/
    Dave_Grohl
    Probably couldn't be much keener to buy this after this review. Awwww Yeeeeeah
    tom183
    I'm surprised to see so many positive comments. This albums just adds to the trend of continually worsening albums by Mudvayne. Ironaically I think that it's Matt (drums) and Greg's (guitar) best album as individuals but Chad's singing unfortunately ruins it for me. I've never been a huge fan of his but atleast previously his lyrics have been somewhat inciteful and thought provoking, his chorus type singing quite good and his forceful screaming ued sparingly. These days his lyrics a full of cliches and rhetoric, his singing voice is hardly used and his screaming is very much overused. On a positive note, the acoustic track to fnish the album was unexpected and a nice touch and Ryan Martinie's bass playing (though often drowned out) is precise as always. All in all though, this, in my opinion, is Mudvayne's worst album to date and makes me very skeptical to purchase any further releases.